Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Licensing and use mixed situation

Post by theviking84 »

We have socket based licensing, but also 6 "instances" as well that were gifted I guess when we renewed recently.

My question is, can I use the veeam plug in for rman against a vm that I'm already backing up via a socket license? We have "enterprise" but not "enterprise plus". But since we do have those 6 instances they themselves are enterprise plus as I believe all instances are.

So is there a way we are covered here if we want to try using the rman plugin?

The plug in itself is already on the veeam b and r iso. Do I just try it out and see what happens? Or how can I know how veeam will license it?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Licensing and use mixed situation

Post by Mildur »

Veeam B&R server gets the edition from it‘s socket licenses if one is present. The instances license are not enterprise Plus enabled in your case.

From the guide:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
For Perpetual Socket license:
You can use Veeam Plug-in with the Enterprise Plus edition license.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

I read that in the guide, but then I was asking some sales reps and it isn't clear yet because they acted like I should still be able to do it.

I sent them a snip of that same spot in the guide.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Your backup server has only the enterprise features activated, if you have installed a socket Enterprise Edition license.
The options and features for the Application Plugins will not be activated.

Second thing, if socket licenses are present, your agent backup from this vm will be covered by the socket license. Veeam will not use a instance license for this backup, because the socket license will protect all vms from the connected hypervisor, agent or vmimage backup.

The six gifted instances are not a VUL license. They come with your socket license. Each socket gives you a complementary instance. Maximum 6 instances per license. Every customer gets them :)
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

There is no agents involved unless the rman plug in is considered one. But that makes no difference i guess.

Sounds like we are out of luck without updating everything to enterprise plus then. Oh well. Thank you.

Also you are telling me we aren't special and these 6 instances were not a gift to just us.? ;( lol
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Veeam will use the socket license to license your rman Plugin, if you have added the hypervisor to your vbr console and oracle is installed on one of the vms in this hypervisor. This way, you don‘t have to pay multiple times for the same protected vm.
Agent, Plugin and VMImage Level uses the same socket license :)

Yeeah, sorry for that :( There are your free license :)
1.4. Gifted (Built-in) Product License

For all Perpetual Licenses with Sockets, Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam ONE products will enable additional FREE Instance licenses to be available for use - one Instance per each Socket with maximum of 6 gifted Instances.
https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy.html
javichumellamo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Javier Larrea

Post by javichumellamo »

Following this thread, We have 14 sockets Enterprise licenses protecting our two vcenters/7ESXi servers, but we have a separated vSphere cluster to run Oracle on it. We're not protecting this cluster with veeam, nor connected Veeam server to this vcenter, so we aren't using any socket license for this cluster. What is the right way to license the RMAN plugin to protect this oracle database? because we also have 6 gifted instances and we want to use them for this database
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Gifted instance will be consumed once you start using the RMAN plug-in on this oracle database.