Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Code 1072: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Unable to register and start service.

Post by albertwt »

Hi All,

I got this issue with my Exchange server backup in the past two weeks:

Code: Select all

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Unable to register and start service. 
Attempt 10 of 10 Cannot register management service. 

Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. Cannot create service. Machine: [PRDEX02-VM.domain.com]. Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. 
Service binary path: [C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport\VeeamGuestHelper.exe]. Service account: []. 
Cannot create service. Win32 error:The specified service has been marked for deletion. Code: 1072
Error: Unable to register and start service. Attempt 10 of 10 Cannot register management service. 
Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. Cannot create service. 
Machine: [PRDEX02-VM.domain.com]. Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. 
Service binary path: [C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport\VeeamGuestHelper.exe]. 
Service account: []. Cannot create service. Win32 error:The specified service has been marked for deletion. Code: 1072
It does not resolve by itself and when I followed the steps:
  • 1. Open services.msc, then stop and disable the VeeamVssSupport service
    2. Open an elevated command prompt and type the following:

sc delete VeeamVssSupport
    3. Delete the folder C:\Windows\VeeamVSSSupport on the guest
    4. Rerun the Veeam Backup/Replication Job
I cannot even delete the service as Local Administrator:
C:\>sc delete VeeamVSSSupport
[SC] DeleteService FAILED 1072:

The specified service has been marked for deletion.
Does deleting this registry entry is suggested?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VeeamVssSupport

Thanks in advance.

[case#03321263]
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Code 1072: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Unable to register and start service.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello albertwt.

Thank you for the detailed report. Please do not delete any services or files unless it's requested by our support team. Do not forget to update the thread with the results of support investigation. Cheers!
FPMIT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: FPM IT

Re: Code 1072: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Unable to register and start service.

Post by FPMIT »

Hi there,

Is there an update with this issue, I guess it might related to the MS hot fix. We found this issue after the patch management process on Veeam and SharePoint server. please advise.

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Unable to register and start service. Attempt 10 of 10 Cannot register management service. Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. Cannot create service. Machine: [xxx.xxx.xxx.com]. Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. Service binary path: [C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport\VeeamGuestHelper.exe]. Service account: []. Cannot create service. Win32 error:The specified service has been marked for deletion. Code: 1072
Error: Unable to register and start service. Attempt 10 of 10 Cannot register management service. Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. Cannot create service. Machine: [FPM-SP-PROD.sqlserver.fairlead.com]. Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. Service binary path: [C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport\VeeamGuestHelper.exe]. Service account: []. Cannot create service. Win32 error:The specified service has been marked for deletion. Code: 1072
ppcat
Lurker
Full Name: wendy zhou

Post by ppcat »

Hi,

I have exactly issue as you do. and i found this kb : https://www.veeam.com/kb1929

I'll try to reboot the vm tonight see if it helps, will keep you posted
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, restarting the server solved the OP's problem.
GalaticWarrior
Lurker
Full Name: Jonathan Mitchell

Post by GalaticWarrior »

Reboot did't help me. I had to disable "enable Application-Aware Processing" to get my jobs to run successfully. This starting happening when I applied update 4a.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, contact our support team and let identify the root cause of the experienced behaviour. Thanks!
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

had a similar problem with exchange and vss back in 2014...vmotioning the VM to a diff host solved my issue..

[ID# 00534359] Exchange backup VSS control -wait timeout
Product: Veeam Backup & Replication
Severity: 3
Opened: March 20, 2014 17:18

- May 20, 2014
This was resolved last week, moving exchange to a different host fixed the vss control issue. Thanks again for the help, thought Id let you guys know it’s fixed.
Blake
EMPB
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by EMPB »

I had the same issue, after update4a install (which may have been coincidental).
I logged in and closed a bunch of old RDP session and a killed a few mmc sessions.
theITguy93
Lurker
Full Name: Alex Györek

Post by theITguy93 »

GalaticWarrior wrote: May 07, 2019 11:35 am Reboot did't help me. I had to disable "enable Application-Aware Processing" to get my jobs to run successfully. This starting happening when I applied update 4a.
Hi,

Where I can find "enable Application-Aware Processing"?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Alex,

Application processing is configured in the backup job settings, but before changing the configuration I'd recommend you to open the support case. Thanks!