Agentless, cloud-native backup for Amazon Web Services (AWS)
edward.hang
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Edward Hang

License question

Post by edward.hang »

Hi,

If each ec2 instance is covered by a rental license ie either a standard/enterprise/enterprise plus, does the Veeam Backup for AWS require a free license or a paid license?

Kind Regards,
Edward
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: License question

Post by dalbertson »

It would leverage the BYOL edition in the marketplace. This can be deployed from within Veeam backup and replication console if the plug-in is installed for VBA.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
edward.hang
Influencer

Post by edward.hang »

Hi Dustin,

What if the client is completely in AWS without a windows box for VBA to be installed? Is VBA required?

Ideally, I would just want the Veeam appliance, the necessary rental license for the each Ec2 and hook them back into the Service Provider Console. ? Is this possible?
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

Ok. VBA does not integrate into VSPC currently. To use your VCSP licensing for VBA you will have to deploy a VBR server to manage the licensing to VBA via the plug-in.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
edward.hang
Influencer

Post by edward.hang »

Oops. Sorry I mistook VBA as the Windows installer Veeam & Backup Replication software but you mean VBA : Veeam Backup for AWS
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

Yes sorry.

VBA = Veeam backup for AWS.
edward.hang
Influencer

Post by edward.hang »

Ok so from what I understand, below are possible license configurations

Option 1
1x Paid Veeam Backup for AWS
3x rental license for 3 ec2 instance ( assuming 3 vm )

Option 2
1 x Paid Veeam Backup for AWS
3 x Per 1 instance protected per hour $0.005 ( taken from the pricing calculator in the market place )

Question is,
1. Can both the above option connect to the Service Provider console?
2. Can Option 1 run the free Veeam Backup for AWS along rental license for each Ec2?
3. The above 2 appear to function the same. Why is there 2 different license types?
4. Option 1 appears to be a double up of license

The goal is to have all backups tie into the service provider console.
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

1. No. This product can’t be integrated with the service provider console.

2. The pricing you see is including the costing for running the Veeam appliance.

There are 3 versions in the marketplace.
Free = free to backup up to 10 instances (ec2,RDS,VPC)

Paid = Same version as above but you can pay thru the aws marketplace. The price for ec2 instances is $40 per instance per year. So 1 ec2 instance costs $40 per year.

BYOL = same version but this integrates with Veeam backup and relocation and uses Veeam universal licenses or VCSP licenses.

The price calc you see in aws is the estimated pricing of the Veeam Backup ec2 instance itself.
edward.hang
Influencer

Post by edward.hang »

Ok I'm still struggling to understand. :|

OK let me try a different question. What is the minimum requirement to backup 3 x Ec2 and also allow integration with the service provider console ?

Kind Regards,
Edward
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi Edward, there is no direct integration with the Veeam Service Provider Console at this moment. The VBA server(s) will either operate as a standalone or you can integrate directly with Veeam Backup & Replication (using the plugin) and it will consume 3 licenses from the rental license normally.

If your customer is running only 3 instances, they can even run the free/trial edition as this covers up to 10 instances. The only cost they will have is the running costs within AWS for the appliance and the policies created.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Post by orb »

Hi Edward,

3 rental and they need to be installed on a VBR instance which is federated with your Veeam on AWS through the plugin and your VBR instance is connected to your VSPC console.

Another way to see it is: VSPC gets the report from your VBR which stores licences (rental or subscription) consumed by your VBA to be able to backup your EC2 VMs.

Neither AWS or Azure can be federated to a VSPC, only VBR.

This is the way :D

Oli
edward.hang
Influencer

Post by edward.hang »

nielsengelen wrote: Feb 23, 2021 7:03 am Hi Edward, there is no direct integration with the Veeam Service Provider Console at this moment. The VBA server(s) will either operate as a standalone or you can integrate directly with Veeam Backup & Replication (using the plugin) and it will consume 3 licenses from the rental license normally.

If your customer is running only 3 instances, they can even run the free/trial edition as this covers up to 10 instances. The only cost they will have is the running costs within AWS for the appliance and the policies created.
Does that mean I will need another VM to host Veeam Backup & Replication?

Ok i guess what I am getting at is the idea of achieving a single pane of view across all our customer and I thought the Service provider console was to suppose to achieve this for both Cloud based resources and on-premise and hybrid situations.

I wanted to avoid the community edition because as an MSP, it would be nice to consolidate all backups into the one pane of view. As we know, the market place appliance does not hook back to the service provider console.

Another question, does any of the Veeam products include a RestAPI? If I can't use the Service provider console to manage license across all our customer, I may need to roll our own dashboard.
edward.hang
Influencer

Post by edward.hang »

orb wrote: Feb 23, 2021 7:17 am Hi Edward,

3 rental and they need to be installed on a VBR instance which is federated with your Veeam on AWS through the plugin and your VBR instance is connected to your VSPC console.

Another way to see it is: VSPC gets the report from your VBR which stores licences (rental or subscription) consumed by your VBA to be able to backup your EC2 VMs.

Neither AWS or Azure can be federated to a VSPC, only VBR.

This is the way :D

Oli
Oh dear, this is what I had feared. Installing VBR everywhere just to tack on the plugin.

When you say consumed by your VBA are you saying BYOL? This method might work.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi Edward, yes, VB for AWS has a RESTful API which you can use to configure specific things.
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

Edward, do you have a VCSP rep? They can explain the licensing requirements of using the VBA product with rental licensing.
edward.hang
Influencer

Post by edward.hang »

I do however its still unclear. I am still waiting to hear back from the VSCP rep
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

It's best to discuss this with them and your local SE so they can provide you a demo on how it would look like.
edward.hang
Influencer

Post by edward.hang »

Its been almost 2 days now and still not heard back from the rep. Decided to log a ticket which has been forwarded to a Sales Engineer and still waiting.
Feeling a little helpless trying to run up a POC :(
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

Pm me your rep name.