Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

azure archive tier - setup

Post by frankive »

Hi.
If we are using an storage account in the capacity tier with Cold tier (most of our customers do..) .. Are we gonna reuse this container? or add a new container? Where do we set the container to be archive and not cold tier? As far as I am aware of in Azure this is just set on the files directly, not the storage account or container itself.

Should we create a new storage account? I fell I am missing this part in the documentation?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: azure archive tier - setup

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

Just create a new container in the same storage account and use that as your archive bucket. Veeam will mark the blobs as archive tier when we upload the data.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I don't know about re-using the existing container in use by the Capacity Tier... will need to check devs whether this is supported. But I personally would avoid that in any case at least for scalability purposes, considering that creating a separate container costs nothing.

Yes, you can certainly create a new container in the same storage account. And don't worry about configuring any settings on the container, as always Veeam will take care of everything for you, including using the correct storage class for archived objects.
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

@Gostev I agree with separating the containers. I tend to separate as there are some limitations about blob/object maximums that could come into play on long retentions.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive » 5 people like this post

Jut gotta love this forum!

i always tend to ask my question "very novice" to keep in mind that other IT-pros which may not be too techincal can easy get their answers to their common questions and you guys never stop to impress me. Instead of "just read the xxx manual" you always, and patiencley, give a very accurate answer, and even discuss internally the answers

This is extremely valuable for both me, and other IT-pros, which I am sure also are searching this forum for answers that may be obvious but we would like to be sure of before turning on settings. Many IT-pros are probably just using 1% of their time on backup and have no time to get into every single product they use 100% so its very nice to be able to get thewse answers on this incredeible forum.

I just want to thank you all at Veeam for this. It is an incredible value and we all learn something new every day we are reading on this forum.

And, yes, I will still ask you many more question the next few years with the "dumb questions" on behalf of myself and other IT-pros which are not 100% payed for the time of configruring backups... :)
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive » 1 person likes this post

And of course the Norway region did not support Archive Tier for my storage account.... :) :)
I guess if we create a new storage account in f.ex West Europe there will be egress costs by moving from Norway region to West Europe region.. Hm..
dalbertson
Veeam Software

@frankive thank you for the interactions and questions. As you mentioned, this type of interaction is helpful for everyone. I may be biased a bit but I think we have the best forums of most of the tech vendors.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

I guess if we create a new storage account in f.ex West Europe there will be egress costs by moving from Norway region to West Europe region.. Hm..
There will be additional price associated with cross-regional data transfer. You can check this table to get a general idea how such configuration will affect the solution cost. Thanks!
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

@veremin Thanks! Will Veeam dehydrate the data during the transfer or just transfer the block "as is"? F.ex if we have a consumption of 30TB today, will 30 TB be transferred to the account even if we have a lot of GFS restore points?
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Where do we set if the Amazon S3 repository should be Glacier or Glacier Deep Archive?
Does Veeam set flag on the specific Archive files as it does in Azure blob?
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Veeam sets this flag when placing the object in the bucket. This is done via an api call to set the storage class of the object
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

frankive wrote: Feb 26, 2021 7:37 amWhere do we set if the Amazon S3 repository should be Glacier or Glacier Deep Archive?
You will see the corresponding checkbox when you register a Glacier object repository repository in the backup console.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Does this mean we only create 1 S3 bucket, which we can use for both standard S3 and Glacier/Deep Archive? There is no such thing as a S3 Glacier Bucket? 1 bucket to rule them all? Veeam takes care of the rest?
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

While you can put both in the same bucket using different folders. I usually recommend to use separate buckets just for segmentation of the backup chains. This is just for peace of mind.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

frankive wrote: Feb 26, 2021 11:56 am Does this mean we only create 1 S3 bucket, which we can use for both standard S3 and Glacier/Deep Archive? There is no such thing as a S3 Glacier Bucket? 1 bucket to rule them all? Veeam takes care of the rest?
This we already discussed yesterday, please see my first response in this thread :D
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

You know... It's too good to be true.... :) :)
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

[MERGED] Question about Archive Tier

Post by JHuston »

I'm setting up an Azure BLOB for archive tier to test V11's new archival functionality.

I'm stuck on how exactly I should be creating the BLOB and I can't find it in the documentation. Should I just be creating a cool blob and Veeam sets the flags as archive as it moves the data or should I be setting the BLOB as archive when I set it up? ( not sure that would work but never set up a Archive BLOB before)

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Don't worry about all this, just provide a storage account - and everything else we will configure for you automatically. Thanks!