Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

cannot use search at this time

Post by averylarry »

I get this error at least 25% of the time when searching any Veeam forum. Even more often when trying to get to a 2nd page of results. Is it just me?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: cannot use search at this time

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ted, thanks for the feedback, I will forward it to our web team. One question to you though...could you please tell me what is the exact time when you've received this message?
glaviolette
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg LaViolette

Post by glaviolette »

I had the same error just prior to my recent post, so while I can't give an *exact* time, it was probably between 9:30-10AM Pacific. I can probably give you the IP that made the request if needed. PM me.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

10:26 am, 10:27 am, 10:28 am central daylight time 11/1/2011
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

Is it just a minimum time between searches? It seems like it happens very often when I do a search and then try to go to the 2nd page of a search -- like I have to wait 10 seconds between searches.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

Ahh! It continues. My very first search attempt today did it again. 11-30 10:57 am CST.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ted, our search engine is configured not to accept user search queries when the server load hits its limits, which obviously has just happened with v6 release. I will ask our webteam to adjust our current server load thresholds. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yep, this forum did beat its online record a few times today... some heavy traffic there due to v6 ;)

If forum search is unavailable, use the following Google query instead, this works any time!

Code: Select all

your search query goes here site:http://forums.veeam.com/
Although personally, I prefer using built-in search whenever possible, because it sorts results from newest to oldest, which is very helpful.
ns00h
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nathan Simpson

Searching this forum is a bad experience

Post by ns00h »

[merged]

Others have mentioned it in the past and I am mentioning it again.

Regularly I get the message "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"

It drives me nuts. One solution from Veeam was to use Google. Really?

It is random but guaranteed to happen.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nathan, our web team has reconfigured search engine settings, so it should work even when the load is really high. Thanks for the feedback!
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

My very first search attempt today (12:18 pm cst -- a minute before this post) failed with the error. It's bad enough that I'd rather just post a question that's been asked over and over again instead of bothering to try and search for the answer.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

averylarry wrote:It's bad enough that I'd rather just post a question that's been asked over and over again instead of bothering to try and search for the answer.
Well, this would really be against spirit of the community forum... the only thing you will achieve is have moderator run the above Google query for you, but then also perform all the extra steps required to merge the two topics into one. Not only you will not get your answer as fast as you could have if you searched yourself, but you will also spend their time which they could rather put into answering some valid questions.

I hope we can agree that it is *extremely* easy to search this forum with Google as explained above, and that there is no valid reason not to do this. Besides, it does not happen too often when the forum search gets disabled because of high forum load... that said, our web team is going to put some monitors on to understand what activity is causing this, because of course we want all forum features to be highly available.

By the way, if for any reason you don't want to bother trying to search for the answer, then consider simply opening a support case. Support will never ask you to read FAQ or documentation, search forums with Google, etc... they will just provide the answer you are looking for. :wink:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Did you get this error on the 1st search, or only on subsequent searches? If the latter, then the reason is search flood protection. I have now changed the "User search flood interval" from 60 sec to 10 sec, so you should be able to run search query as often as once every 10 sec. Thanks!
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

I did get the message on the very first search. I think the user flood interval will help a lot -- when I search I prefer to find 5-10 different results that interest me and open them all up in additional browser tabs before actually looking at the posts. That means I go through 2-4 pages of results very quickly -- and each page is considered a new search. In addition, sometimes a rather general search will yield results that help me refine my search into something more specific. 60 seconds would explain a lot of my frustration (which I theorized above).

As to the Google search thing -- let me just say that it's an OK workaround, but I wouldn't consider it a "fix". There are a number of reasons why I think it's inferior (I suppose that's props to the Veeam search).