Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
arrowd
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Don Arrowsmith

Recovery disk version questions

Post by arrowd »

When a new version of Veeam Agent for Windows (VAW) requests that I make a new recovery disk (RD), I comply. Some questions:
1. Will this new RD v5 only be able to restore backups that I make with the updated VAW v5?
2. Should I save the RD v4 in case I need to restore a backup made with VAW v4?
3. If I try to use a mismatched RD version with a backup version, will there be an error message?
4. Should I be sure to make a new full backup after updating to VAW v5 rather than let an incremental chain continue?
Thanks.
--
Don
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recovery disk version questions

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Don,
1. Will this new RD v5 only be able to restore backups that I make with the updated VAW v5?
Any backup of any agent version works with latest Recovery Media but I always recommend to recreate Recovery Media after every major release: we keep addressing infrastructure specific bug reports with every version, so it's always better to use the latest RE instead of the oldest.
2. Should I save the RD v4 in case I need to restore a backup made with VAW v4?
Up to you, but I'd say it's not required to keep previously created media.
3. If I try to use a mismatched RD version with a backup version, will there be an error message?
It's not possible: backup file is version agnostic and Recovery Media is version agnostic.
4. Should I be sure to make a new full backup after updating to VAW v5 rather than let an incremental chain continue?
Also not required, you can continue existing backup chain without any issues.

Hope that helps, cheers!
arrowd
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Don Arrowsmith

Re: Recovery disk version questions

Post by arrowd » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for a prompt answer and thanks for a great product.
--
Don