Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Restore from read-only backup repository?

Post by mikeely »

We're replicating our backups between two sites using the storage backend (FreeNAS arrays) - it's a lot faster than the Veeam replication and removes load from the VBR server. One of the quirks of this approach is that the destination for the replicas is read-only - see here for details on that - but one can easily make the replica r/w for the purposes of mounting the location as a backup repo. It will automatically set itself back to r/o when the next snapshot replica is sent.

I know Veeam can pull down immutable B2 replicas for restore, but when I try to use the NFS repo pulling from a read-only filesystem I get:

Code: Select all

Error    Restore job failed Error: Read-only file system
Is there a trick to restoring these that doesn't involve setting the replica dataset r/w? If not, can we consider this a feature request?
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore from read-only backup repository?

Post by foggy »

Hi Mike, what kind of restore is it, FLR? Where is the mount server for the repo in question located?
mikeely
Expert

Post by mikeely »

Entire VM restore, the mount server isn't used for those AFAIK.
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Entire VM restore doesn't need write access to the repository - I'd ask our engineers to review the log files for exact reason of the failure.
mikeely
Expert

Post by mikeely »

foggy wrote: Entire VM restore doesn't need write access to the repository - I'd ask our engineers to review the log files for exact reason of the failure.
I will do that. It looks like the issue occurs when I go to refresh the repo.