Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DorTech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Weaver

Conventional Backup with VBR

Post by DorTech »

Hi All,

I trying to configure Veeam Backup & Replication to backup a vSphere 7 cluster of Windows VMs to disk.

I want to perform say three incremental backups during the day, then roll this up to a full backup at the end of the day.

I initially when with Incremental backups and ticked Create synthetic full backups daily, but this would create the full backup at the start of the day.

I'm now trying Reverse incremental.
This seems to be creating/rolling up the incremental backups to a full at the end of the day.
So I have several incremental backups throughout the day, then the full backup with the last run of the day.
Is this the right choice?

I'm then running another job to drop this onto tape.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Conventional Backup with VBR

Post by foggy »

Hi Stephen, if having the last backup for the day to be a full backup is a requirement, then reverse incremental is the right choice. However overall this is not the best backup method in terms of performance, for example - you can read a lot on the forums in this regard. Another approach could be using a backup copy job to create a full backup in some other repository at the end of the day from the chain of increments.
DorTech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Weaver

Post by DorTech »

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for the response.
Yes, I have read that in terms of performance, it's not the best, but it fits the business's requirements.

But interestingly, there is no noticeable difference in terms of time to complete the backups.

My next challenge is using a Fujistu branded QNAP as a repository for copy jobs.
Can you see any issues with this?

Many thanks,

Stephen
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

But interestingly, there is no noticeable difference in terms of time to complete the backups.
That means the bottleneck is not on the target side.
Can you see any issues with this?
Shouldn't be any issues. If it is an offsite copy, make sure you have a gateway server close to the repository for optimal data transfer.