Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
DSPGuy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jerome Viviano

Can't Set Repository to Shared Drive

Post by DSPGuy »

I'm new to Veeam Agent, so I may be doing something incorrectly. When attempting to set up my first backup job on my Windows 10 Home edition PC, I'm having trouble setting the repository directory to a shared USB drive connected to another Windows computer on my home LAN. The permissions are wide open on the shared drive, and I write to it without issue with other applications, including other backup utilities. It fails in more than one way that I'm trying to access it.
1) In setting up the back-up drive, I get to the part which asks for destination. If I select "Shared folder" and click next, I click on "Browse". I get an error message "Loading devices.. Last error: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available". If instead of browsing to it, I just enter the path to the drive "\\JERRY-THINK\Solo G3", and then click "Next", I get the error message, "Access is denied. Failed to create or open file.". I get the same error message whether i enter logon credentials or not. My other apps do not require log on credentials.
2) If, instead of selecting "Shared Folder", I select local storage and browse to the same root folder on the shared drive, I get the error message, "Invalid folder path.". Or if I just enter the path "\\JERRY-THINK\Solo G3", and click next, I get the same "Invalid folder path." error message.

I do not understand why it will not let me set the path to the root of a shared drive. Thinking that it did not like the fact that I was setting the repository to a root folder, at one point I did add a folder into the root drive and tried setting the repository into that folder, but that did not help either. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I can't set the repository to this network drive?

I did submit a ticket to Veeam support on this, but since I'm using one of their free copies, they aren't getting back to me. I understand that they prioritize their paying customers over their free copy customers, which is natural.
DSPGuy
Novice

Re: Can't Set Repository to Shared Drive

Post by DSPGuy »

One other piece of info - I am able to set the repository to a similar USB drive connected to the same computer that I'm running Veeam Agent from. And I can successfully backup to and restore from that drive. The only problem is when I'm trying to set the repository to a network drive such as discussed in my initial posting.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2292 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Habe you tried the credentials in this format:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
The user name must be specified in the down-level logon name format. For example, DOMAIN\UserName or HOSTNAME\UserName.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DSPGuy
Novice

Re: Can't Set Repository to Shared Drive, Case 04657856

Post by DSPGuy »

Mildur,
That appears to be it. With that change, I was able to successfully enter a job configuration and start a backup job with it. I was completely unaware that the Hostname had to be included. It's not clear to me why it would be, because the hostname is already specified as part of the path to the shared drive. But perhaps there's a non-obvious good reason for it. It would be reasonable to expect that Veeam Agent would warn the user of this requirement either before he/she enters the path, or in the error message that pops up which instead simply instead says "Access is denied. Failed to create or open file." or "Invalid folder path." Also, it seems to me that logon credentials should not be required in this case at all, as I've set the permissions for that destination to full read and write for everyone. No other of the several applications I use require logon credentials to it. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
Thank you again,
DSPGuy
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

No Problem, I‘m glad, it works now :)

The path from thefolder will never be used for authentification details.
You have to use the exact login name (Source and Username), or the Shared Folder doesn‘t know, if it‘s a user from his authentication database or a external authentication server.

Everyone isn‘t the same as Anonymous. You have to authenticate against a network shared folder.
DSPGuy
Novice

Post by DSPGuy »

I didn't use Source and Username. I used Destination/Username, the Destination being the path to the desired repository, including the Host computer name of the repository, and the Username being my admin account name on the Host of the repository. And the Destination is the same in the path to the repository and in the Destination in Destination/Username, which was the point I was attempting to make in my previous post. It's all destination information, and it's repeated which seems should be unnecessary. That's what worked. I didn't try Source/Username. Perhaps I will give that a shot as well.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Yes, i was Talking about Destination\user
The source, where the user account is managed.
Some complicated thoughts of mine :)

Destination\user is correct like you have tried now.