Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SteveOllis
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Ollis

V6 - moving backups to new repository

Post by SteveOllis »

Hi,

Previously, have been using a CIFS share as a repository for my VBR backup jobs.

I've just upgraded to V6 on my VBR Server/proxy, and am trying to convert over to use NFS on a repository server.

I've installed VBR on the repository server (is/was the CIFS host), added the server on the VBR Server/proxy. I've gone into the Job properties, and am trying to change the storage to the NFS repository, and am getting an error message of "Move all backup files to the new backup repository first".

What is the best practice for doing this move?

Steve
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: V6 - moving backups to new repository

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Steve,

Best practice would be to follow these steps if you want to change backup repository for existing jobs:

1. One of the most important things to know here is that you need to have at least one successful full job run after the upgrade to v6.
2. After running the backup job (at least for 1 time), a metadata file (VBM) will created.
3. Once you have metadata file created, you need to create new backup repository and move all backup files to that repository.
4. On moving all backup files to a new repository, you need to initiate rescan action on your new repository to locate all backup files.
5. Update your backup job according to your new configuration: specify the new repository and set up backup mapping to point job to the necessary backups in the new repository.

Hope this helps!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Be sure not to map backup files across backup servers though. In other words, currently you cannot use backup file produced by backup server A to "seed" the job created on backup server B. Doing this will cause full backup of all VMs going into the VIB file. Thanks!
Cyrix619
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Loren Hudson

Post by Cyrix619 »

I am getting the same error as original poster.

I added a second drive to my backup server. Created a backup repository on this new drive "g" then copied all of the files from drive r to drive g. After that finished and robocopy says they are identical I rescaned the new "g". It added the backup jobs to veeam. However when I then go to the jobs and try to change them to now use "G" I get the error reported up top. IS there a step I am missing, the support repersentative simply told me copy the folder and it will connect. This is not the case.

Thanks
Loren
Cyrix619
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Loren Hudson

Post by Cyrix619 »

I had the same error after doing everything sugguested in this thread. The missing part for me was when you change the drive on the job you must click the map link and map it to the storage on the new drive as well. I assumed pointing it to the new drive was all I needed to do. The error message does not give you the idea that you need to also map it.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Loren, I've updated the step 5 of the procedure above to reflect the need to map backups. Thanks for pointing that out.
donb123
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Donald Brisson

Post by donb123 »

Just tried this.

Worked perfectly, thanks for the post.