Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
chama1331
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Yaroslav Shchubelka

Broken Amazon S3 Glacier functionality

Post by chama1331 »

Hello!

I'm trying out the free version of Backup and Replication.

While testing off-premises backup to S3 Glacier Deep Archive I encountered a problem that forbids me from using it at all.
At the end of the wizard I receive an error "Failed to create object storage repository."
I tried to give the account used full administrative rights, just to make sure its not an IAM permission issue. Same result.

Also, another error I received on previous step is when I try to modify Proxy Appliance EC2 instance type: "The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request."

Screenshots attached below.

Thanks!

Case #04674324

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Broken Amazon S3 Glacier functionality

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello, while the error is unexpected, please note that the Community Edition does not support backup to object storage in principle. Thanks!
chama1331
Novice

Post by chama1331 »

Thanks for the response!

Just to be clear, it will work as soon as I purchase a license? Because I am thinking of getting one, but I do not want to get half-working software.

Thanks.
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson »

It will work when you have the required licensing. I would recommend reading the helpcenter guide to understand how it will move data to archive so that there are no misunderstandings of how operations are performed.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

chama1331 wrote: Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pmJust to be clear, it will work as soon as I purchase a license? Because I am thinking of getting one, but I do not want to get half-working software.
We don't ship half-working software :) however, why don't you get an official trial license? This will unlock full functionality + technical support for 30 days.

Regarding your issue, I'm actually not exactly sure what is it. As I've said it looks unexpected, and does not seem to deal with the free license (you should be able to register a Glacier bucket with the free license, we allow this for DR purposes). So it's either some connectivity issue, or permissions issue, or attempting to use Glacier or an instance type in the AWS data center that does not provide one, or something along those lines. Our support will help you troubleshoot this as soon as you're on your official trial period.
chama1331
Novice

Post by chama1331 »

Ok, thank you! Will definitely try.