Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
b.gahr
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Feature Request - Define Workdays and schedule Backups after this definition

Post by b.gahr »

Hi team,

we have a customer that successfully migrated from SEP Sesam to Veeam and is amazed by its performance and GUI.

One feature from SEP is missing for the customer:

- they defined workdays (Mo-Fr)
- they referrenced to this schedule in archival tape jobs, so the job can run on last workday of month, which is not covered by the existing options

They do not want backups from the weekends but need a backup that runs on last workday of each month which then will be archived for 10 years.

Am I missing some feature which will make this feature request unnecessary?

Cheers,

Benedikt
VCP-DCV 6.5
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Feature Request - Define Workdays and schedule Backups after this definition

Post by soncscy »

Hey Benedikt,

Interesting question: as I see it, there are two options:

1. Set a Virtual Full to run on the desired monthly day: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110. As long as the tape job runs __after__ the source backup job runs and the source backup produced a back-up on that day, the Tape job will produce a backup from it. If you make periodic fulls in your source job, then simply ensure that the tape job runs after the full is made.
2. Tape GFS with Monthly media set can do something like this also: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

I suppose the main issue you have is that the schedule tab doesn't have a concept of "work day" explicitly, but you can pick a day of the Week. Holidays will maybe hit you for a bump, but if it were me I'd just swallow that point unless you truly had some very strange regulation that made that a requirement.

So I think the options are there for what you need, just it maybe looks a bit different than what you're looking for.
b.gahr
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Re: Feature Request - Define Workdays and schedule Backups after this definition

Post by b.gahr »

Hi Harvey,

thank you for your reply. Let me explain what the customer wants:

The last workday of the month is their monthly closing in accounting etc and they run during work hours several automated processes to close the month. These chagnes need backed up and then need to be archived for 10 years on tape.
The last day of the month will not work in this case, because the last day of the month can also be saturday or sunday. The last specific weekday of the month will also not work, because the last friday may be the 26th, but the last workday of the month is wednesday 31th.

What I am looking for is a definition option for days (like monday - friday), give it an name and select this time definition as a schedule parameter. Like workdays are defined as monday-friday (holiday season and public holidays are not taken into account) and the job should always run on the last workday of each month. Like here https://imgur.com/a/FPMvPeq
VCP-DCV 6.5