Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sammyta
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sam Abraham

Veeam B&R for DR as well as Cloud connect possible?

Post by sammyta »

Hi,
I wanted to know if there can be a physical DR site as well as a cloud-based DR site? or can it be only one solution either physical DR or Cloud? The reason being that if the server on which veeam is running B&R to my physical DR site fails I do not have any backup till the server is up. Much appreciated it if anyone can advise or give me more information in this regard. Thank You.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam B&R for DR as well as Cloud connect possible?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

First it depends what exactly you mean with disaster recovery. Is it just "restore" from a backup, or are we talking about "power-on" of replicated machines that are already registered to the hypervisor at the DR site?

for restore: you can have as many backup in as many locations as you like. The "cloud" is also a physical location. Just with different access and payment models.
the server on which veeam is running B&R to my physical DR site fails I do not have any backup till the server is up
if you implement the 3-2-1 rule, https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-follo ... ation.html then you have a copy of your backups. You can restore from that with a standby backup server

If you have only one backup location and you are thinking about "cloud" (I assume that you mean object storage with that), then capacity tier in copy mode is the recommended way
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
post338749.html#p338749

For "power-on" replicated VMs: it's possible to multiple sites with classic replication. You don't need a backup server for that. The machines are registered to the hypervisor. So you can just power them on. The second target can be a Veeam Cloud Service provider
Continuous Data protection allows one replication target with RPO of seconds

Best regards,
Hannes
sammyta
Influencer

Post by sammyta »

Hi Hannes,

Thank You for your response. I would also like to know if the replications of the VMs can be done at the DR as well as the cloud?

For example, If the backup server running veeam which does the backup of DB and the replication of the VMs fails, what would you suggest is the solution as this server which is responsible for replicating on the DR?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can back up configuration of this server and in case of disaster just deploy a new backup server, restore previously backed up configuration and start restore and failover operations from it. Alternatively, you can deploy a backup server in DR location and manage replication activities from it - if something happens with the production site, you will still be able to failover replicas from DR backup server. Thanks!
sammyta
Influencer

Post by sammyta »

Hi Veremin,
Thank You so much for your reply. So basically you wouldn't suggest both a DR site and a cloud-based DR right?

My Scenario is that my backup server on which veeam runs had a hardware issue and failed and due to covid and the time for the parts to arrive for it to be replaced is taking the time. I have deployed a temporary server though. So my team was thinking of a solution to avoid stopping B&R so wanted to know if it's possible for two kinds types of DR at the same time(Physical DR and Cloud-based DR).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can use two-backup server scheme (one local, one remote), but in this case servers won't be aware of each other, so, you have to configure and plan jobs accordingly.

I still believe that the easiest option will be to deploy one server in DR site and manage everything from it.

Should disaster hit the production site, you would still be able to execute failover and restore operations from DR backup server.

Thanks!
sammyta
Influencer

Post by sammyta »

Thank You so much for your help I will take it to my team and come to a conclusion in this regard.