Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

V6 Warning - Automatic Proxy Selection

Post by mcwill »

Following an upgrade to v6 we came in this morning to discover one of the overnight backup jobs still running long after it would normally finish. The reason - at the time the job started the local backup proxy had reached it's concurrent job limit so instead of waiting the job decided to use the offsite backup proxy which was set up for our replication jobs. Hence a very slow backup, still running hours later.

I've now reconfigured all our backup jobs to switch from Automatic Backup Proxy selection to explicitly configuring the local proxy.

If you have a remote Backup Proxy - you may want to do the same.

Regards,
Iain
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: V6 Warning - Automatic Proxy Selection

Post by foggy »

Iain, sure, this option was implemented with this very case in mind. To avoid jobs waiting for each other to finish (if this still affects your backup window, even in case of explicitly selected proxies) you might consider adding one more proxy to your environment. This will balance the load and let all the jobs finish faster. Thanks.
phil.p
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Phil P

Post by phil.p »

Just dealing with the same issue myself. It's worth checking your backup settings after upgrading to ensure only local proxies are set for local jobs.

I'm adding some additional local proxies as suggested by foggy to alleviate this issue.
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

Post by mcwill »

Thanks Alexander.

We have plenty of time in the backup window so I'd prefer to load the system as little as possible - hence concurrent jobs is limited to 1 but I didn't twig that the remote backup proxy used for replication would be used for a local backup job.

Really like the ability to limit concurrent jobs. Another nice improvement for v6.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Note that now you can also limit concurrent jobs on the backup repository side.