Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Skeeter395
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Giesbrecht

Veeam and DataDomain

Post by Skeeter395 »

Hello All,

I am not quite sure where to ask this so I'll try here and if this is not the right spot we can move it.

I am currently using Networker to backup my Vmware infrastructure to EMC DataDomain. We have just purchased Veeam and we are migrating to Nutanix AHV.

We are going to use our Datadomains as backup targets for Veeam. My datadomains are about 75% full. We keep backups for about 8 weeks.

I was thinking of purchasing a server to hold veeam and ~80TB of usable storage to hold my backups for about 8 weeks until my datadomain data is old and I could wipe it to start fresh. However, if the data I am backing up is relatively the same as what I already have would I notice a big increate on my datadomains usage? At 75% used I do not have a lot of extra space to play with so if the new backup data is not going to be seen as the same data from the datadomain then I will have to let the data expire and start from scratch, but if it will see it as the same then I should be able to just point veeam there and go hard.

Thanks,
Scott
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam and DataDomain

Post by Gostev »

Hello Scott!

Moved this to the main forum as your question is not very specific to Nutanix, and you will get more eyes here.

You're correct, I don't expect a major increase in Data Domain usage, since we will push raw image data to the box where it already exists. I'm assuming here that Networker does more or less the same and does not store backups in some weird way.

Thanks!