Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SAFA_IT
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: David Thomson

V11 and Veeam Cloud Connect

Post by SAFA_IT »

I used to look forward to a new Veeam release and always updated as soon as I could, as Veeam is one of the few products that I trust has already undertaken a reasonable amount of testing.

However, since using Veeam Cloud Connect, I have had to wait many months before the two different cloud connect providers we use get round to updating their systems or installing new hardware.

It would be good to know something like ' all Cloud Connect providers will be ready in one month after release' or similar so our own upgrades can be planned. Similarly, it would be useful to regulate how quickly the SP responds to log requests so that Cloud Connect support cases can be resolved in a reasonable time.

I'm looking forward to setting up my hardened repository ...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: V11 and Veeam Cloud Connect

Post by Dima P. »

Hello David,

Thank you for your feedback! We do provide the early access to all Cloud Connect service providers, however, from the infrastructure perspective they may need to spend some time on internal testing, upgrade roll-out and other activities that would prevent you as a customer from possible issues.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 3 people like this post

Hi David

I know the problem from the other site.
Customer do not want to pay for upgrades services done by my company. They mostly don't appreciate the benefits of new version. Therefore, we have some veeam versions around from 2017-2018.
The consequence of this is that I cannot update Cloud Connect without first forcing all customers to update again to Veeam V10 first. Every time of this year the same pain for me :lol:

This can also be the reason that service providers cannot update immediately. They have to get all customers to a supported version first.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
SAFA_IT
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: David Thomson

Post by SAFA_IT »

That is a fair comment - I think I had to wait for a provider to upgrade hardware before I could upgrade to V10.

I also find support cases for Cloud Connect issues to be very time consuming - I have been waiting 3 weeks to get logs sent to Veeam by one of our service providers. Although Cloud Connect is easy to use and convenient, these two issues are making me think about alternatives.
jwhitford
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: John Whitford

Post by jwhitford »

As a Service Provider, this message we received below (today) is exactly why we wait on major upgrades.

"We have discovered a data loss bug affecting all V11 builds of the Veeam Cloud Connect (VCC) infrastructure: upgrading service provider infrastructure to V11 causes V10 and V9.5 tenant backup copy jobs to delete existing quarterly GFS backups that exceed the monthly GFS retention policy.
Tenants who have already upgraded to V11 are not affected by this issue.
If you did not upgrade your VCC infrastructure to V11 yet, please wait for a new V11 ISO version with a fix in the upgrade script and the patch included before upgrading.
If you already upgraded your VCC infrastructure to V11, but have the Insider Protection functionality enabled, you may still be able to restore the deleted quarterly backups from the Recycle Bin folder. We will also provide a patch in the next few days to update your V11 installations and prevent newly created quarterly GFS backups from being deleted."
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

The delay of installing new major software updates is usually proportional to the time one spent in IT :D
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

jwhitford wrote: Mar 25, 2021 4:44 pm If you did not upgrade your VCC infrastructure to V11 yet, please wait for a new V11 ISO version with a fix in the upgrade script and the patch included before upgrading.
Patch if released, tomorrow I can finally upgrade my vcc environment :)

https://www.veeam.com/kb4126
P20210324
Applicable to Cloud Connect service providers' infrastructure servers only: fix for the quartertly backups retention issue.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software