Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
arestas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: arestas

Veeam Backup Retention

Post by arestas »

Hello,

Iam new with veeam. All my experienced is with Commvault.
I have some doubts about how to define the retentions , so that i can save as much disk space as possible and guarantee the retentions.
All my backups are VM backups.

Taking as example:
Example1 :
Monthly backup with 3 month retention
What i have done:
Set 1 restore point and selected keep monthly full for 3months
I have also defined a Active Full each month.

Example2 :
Inc Backup every 3 days and a full every month. 9 days retention for incrementals and 3 months for fulls
What i have done:
Defined a retention Policie of 9 days for incrementals and keep monthly full for 3 months.
i have defined 1 full per month and incremental every 3 days.

In example1 ill have all full backups retained for 3 months
In example2 ill need to keep incrementals for 1 month, even when i have 9 days retention, because of the cycle.monthly full backup will be saved for 3 months.
Is this correct?

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Backup Retention

Post by foggy »

For the first example, you can just set the job to keep 3 restore points and run it once a month (no need to enable GFS retention). Do you want those restore points to be full backups or could it be a chain of the first full and two increments? Depending on the change rate, the size of an increment could be comparable with the full though, so it depends. For the second example, you seem to select the correct settings as getting different retention for fulls and incrementals in a single chain is not possible and here you need GFS. Keep in mind though, that in this case you will have more than 9 restore points in a chain, as with simple forward incremental mode, Veeam B&R cannot delete the restore points until the new chain reaches the specified retention (9 points). That would require some overhead in terms of space.
arestas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: arestas

Post by arestas »

For the second case if i change the backup to reverse incremental i will save some space, right?
My doubt ii, how will the full behave when its marked as a monthy backup.It will create new FULL?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I missed the fact you need a backup every 3 days. With this setup, it wouldn't save you much space as 9 restore points roughly gives a month in this case. So in both cases, the old part of the chain consisting of a full and 8 or maybe 9 (for forward incremental) increments will be deleted when the new part reaches the 9 points retention. However, GFS retention doesn't apply to reverse incremental so is not the way to go with your requirements.