Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
sandinetcom
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sandip Saha

Best practices for Disaster Recovery Setup using Veeam 10

Post by sandinetcom »

Hello,

We are in the process of designing our first Disaster Recovery (DR) site. We are currently using Veeam 10
I just want some confirmation and ideas from you guys if we are doing it right.

Below is the description of our design:

Site A (production) connects via MPLS to Site B (DR).
My Site A I have an AHV environment and some Linux physical servers VBR server on a VM and physical proxy and repository server It will be connected to our SAN storage for backup. The backup job will run every day to this server. The question now is, do I configure a secondary backup replication job to copy the backup to my DR site (another SAN storage), or do I configure a separate replication job to replicate the VMs over? It Acropolis hypervisor vms can support VM based replication?

In my scenario in site B is a DR and also a requirement for backup of some VMS and some physical servers so can I implemented VBR server in DR?
Anyone please help me how to build a DR server in DC DR scenario and if my DC goes down how to recover backup server and restore my Data to DR

Thanks for Help
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Best practices for Disaster Recovery Setup using Veeam 10

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
from Veeam side, I assume that you are looking for the backup copy job in Veeam? For AHV backups, you can use the "periodic" mode: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Many customers with your requirement put the backup server to the DR site. Because they want to have a "restore button" in case of emergency.

For Nutanix replication: I leave it to Nutanix experts. I don't know the Nutanix capabilities.

Best regards,
Hannes
sandinetcom
Enthusiast

Post by sandinetcom »

Hello,

Thanks for your help
as per your post in Nutanix environment, we can copy job in veeam this is clear there is no vm replication
and my 2nd part we need to take backup some servers in DR site so how to design for DR site.

Thanks
Sandip
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

Hello sandinetcom, Nutanix AHV has native DR capabilities to replicate and failover VM's, which work very easy. This is called a protection domain within the Nutanix environment.

Best regards,
Ted
sandinetcom
Enthusiast

Post by sandinetcom »

Hello,

Thanks for your help

I understand AHV DR replication part but my 2nd question is not clear

We need to take backup some servers in DR site and also copy backup my DC to DR so how to design for DR site.

Thanks
Sandip
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

Hi Sandip,

Your setup would be something like this:

Place a backup repository in the production site and a backup repository in the DR site.
Backup VM's in the production site to the backup repository in the production site.
Backup VM's in the DR site to the backup repository in the DR site.
Define a backup copy job to copy the backups from the backup repository in the production site to the backup repository in the DR site.
If you want the backup server to be available in case of a disaster with the production site, place the backup server in the DR site.

Regards,
Ted