Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Feature Request - Allow USB Stick Refresh From Servers

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

This is a feature request. One pain point is whenever we upgrade Veeam, I have to reach out to fellow admins and ask them to move USB sticks that were configured for bare metal restores from the backed up server to the Veeam server so I can update the stick, then have them move it back. That's fine for one server, but a bit of a pain when dealing with several physical servers. It would be great if a USB stick could be updated directly by the Veeam agent from the source machine without having to move the stick to the Veeam backup server.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature Request - Allow USB Stick Refresh From Servers

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Tim.

Thanks for feedback - I have noted your feature request for internal discussion.
Just wondering, how often do server admins actually use Veeam Recovery Media? Thing is, Veeam Backup server can collect the recovery media and generate .iso that can be stored and accessed by respectful server admins remotely. Whenever the need comes, bootable usb stick can be written using said .iso in a matter of a minute.

/Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert

Hi Egor, somehow I just noticed your response! Sorry about that. This is just a case of liking to be prepared at all times. This way if I need to rebuild a server in the middle of the night, I don't have to wake anyone up to go on premesis to attach a USB stick. It is already there and I can use it.

Incidentally, we used it for the first time last fall to restore a server that was fully corrupted.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

No worries about delays :)
Just wondering about case "if I need to rebuild a server in the middle of the night, I don't have to wake anyone up to go on premises to attach a USB stick" - but to restore a server using recovery media you must be present at the server to boot from it and use interactive restore wizard? Or am I missing something here?
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com » 1 person likes this post

Hi Egor,
I don't need to be present. Almost any enterprise-grade server these days has the ability to remotely allow you to reboot it and view what is happening on the console and interact with it, including all the Dell servers we deploy at our offices. So no one needs to be on premises as long as the USB stick is already attached.

My request, just to reiterate, it just about the process of refreshing an existing USB stick. Whenever I upgrade Veeam, I have to request that someone move the USB stick back to the Veeam box so I can update it, and then move it back to the server being backed up. Minor in the grand scheme of things, but I decided it was worth a feature request just to simplify things.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Perfectly clear!
We will see if that can be done in the future versions.
/Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert

Thank you Egor!