Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pmalinov
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

v6 Replication preparation and settings

Post by pmalinov »

So, I have upgraded my VEEAM Backup Server to version 6 and now would like to take advantage of the speedier replication.
In order to do that I believe I need to create the Backup Proxie at the remote site (where we replicate daily).

We replicate to 2 x ESX hosts with local storage (no cluster) over 10 Mbs pipe.

- What would be the transport mode and the connected Datastore?
- Do I need to create a new Backup Repository for my replicas?
- If new Backup Repository is needed, where would I point it and would they be called Replication Repositories?
- Do I need to make any changes to the Replica jobs that I already have? Hopefully I do not have to reseed and can simply restart current replicas.

BTW my replicas are marked as Legacy Replica - will this go away once the jobs are run or there is something I need to do?

Thank you!

I am sure that more questions may come up as I do this, but this is to get me started :)
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Re: v6 Replication preparation and settings

Post by averylarry »

No such thing as a replication repository. You just select the remote vcenter or vmware host and then datastore. You'll need to "add a server" in the main backup page on your veeam server and choose a machine at the remote location -- it'll install the agent needed automatically for you from there.
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

I did add the Backup Proxy , which happen to be a physical Windows Server that sits in our remote location where we replicate.
If I am reading your post correctly, then I should not have to do anything else to my Replica Jobs -> just run them?
thanks
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

That should be correct. If you go into the replication job properties, job settings; see if the remote server is listed when you click "choose" for the target proxy.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Your replication jobs will continue to run normally after upgrade but to take advantage of the new architecture and speed up replication, you should create new jobs and map them to existing replicas (to let them continue incremental runs). In the new job, specify your newly added target proxy (note that as it is physical, you cannot benefit from the hotadd replica population, so the Network transport mode will be used on target). You can use the automatically created default local backup repository in your new jobs.
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

- My replica jobs ran but failed with this error message: Error: Client error: Completion timeout occurred
- Do i need to create a virtual machine to host my VEEAM backup server and all proxies in order to take advantage of all features?
- I noticed that randomly my backup jobs would take longer than before (these are backups to local iSCSI over LAN that used to work fine)

I am totally confused - it would sux if I need to convert everything to virtual machines in order to take advantage of the cool features, especially my backup server. The proxy would not be such a hassle...

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

For the new replication, you need at least one virtual backup proxy server in both production and DR site. You can install the proxy server on any existing windows server that you already have. As for the backup server, you can keep it as it is today. Thanks!
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

OK - Got it. I will need a VM at the data center and then one of my existing VMs at the host side. Will do that and report back here
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

One more question - When I create the virtual proxy on the host side (our main office), do I assign only that one for the replicas or select automatic? and do I assign it for the backup jobs as well?
Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It is always best to either of these 2 things:
- Either edit the proxy settings and force it to "Virtual Appliance" mode,
- Or force the replication jobs to use specific proxy only (generally more work and bad for load-balancing and fault-tolerance in case of multiple proxies)

If you don't do this, you may end up remote proxies trying to process local VMs over WAN when all your local hot add proxies are already running maximum amount of concurrent tasks.
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

OK - got it

- Where do I find the min. requirements for the Virtual Proxies (OS type, 32 bit vs 64, RAM, CPU number etc)?
- I just processed a replica job (new one with mapping from old one) using the built-in backup proxy (physical) on the host and remote physical proxy at the remote site, but I got the following Warning message: Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. Error caused by file /vmfs/volumes/4b031582-6d32d88e-5ba4-001b21448b20/MCCDC0/MCCDC0.vmdkDetail: '', endpoint: ''

Any clues?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Peter,

- please refer to the System Requirements section of the Release Notes document included with your download.
- this issue should be investigated with our support team.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Don't worry about this warning logged during the seeding run. If it persists during the incremental runs, please contact our support.
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

Gostev wrote:Don't worry about this warning logged during the seeding run. If it persists during the incremental runs, please contact our support.
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Peter,

- please refer to the System Requirements section of the Release Notes document included with your download.
- this issue should be investigated with our support team.

Thanks!
I got it - Thanks