Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Veeam Hyper-v Instant VM Recovery to VMWare

Post by collinp »

I need clarity on the Veeam v10 V2V feature of restoring a Hyper-v vm into VMWare. I couldn't find it in documentation.

On the instant vm recovery, I chose not to power on the destination VMWare vm after restore and not to connect the destination networking card. I also chose not to power off and delete the source Hyper-v VM after migration. During this migration, if the source is still running, do the changes that are being written to the source get transferred to the destination VM in VMWare? So the source is usable during the conversion process?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Hyper-v Instant VM Recovery to VMWare

Post by Gostev »

collinp wrote: Mar 09, 2021 12:04 amDuring this migration, if the source is still running, do the changes that are being written to the source get transferred to the destination VM in VMWare?
No. Instant recovery is done from a backup which contains the complete copy of a point-in-time state of the source VM from the past.
collinp wrote: Mar 09, 2021 12:04 amSo the source is usable during the conversion process?
Yes, the source is still usable, because it's not involved in the process anyhow.