Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
toko42
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Thorsten Kowalski

"Managed by agent" but no interface on managed computer

Post by toko42 »

I don't have a support ID (nor do I need one) but would like to make a feature request:

I would want to be able to start the agent's control panel on the managed PC (especially on a mobile computer!) if I set the computer up as "managed by agent" instead of "managed by backup server".
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: "Managed by agent" but no interface on managed computer

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, we can't accept feature requests like this. Let's rather start from what you're trying to achieve. Can you clarify what specific tasks would you like end users to be able to perform in the control panel? Because it provides access to many functions, and most of them end users should not be able to manage. For example, I'm sure you don't want them to be able to disable protection, mess up the connection to the backup repository, delete backups etc.

As soon as we understand the use case, we can determine the best approach to addressing it (allowing limited access to certain control panel functionality can be one of them). But it does not work well the other way around :D
toko42
Enthusiast

Post by toko42 »

I want to be able to start a local backup on machines that are not connected to the B&R server all the time (mobile computers).
Or to set up a "local" job that starts whenever certain conditions are met (usb harddrive attached, certain time), just as with a standalone agent.
If I can set this up on the server and the job runs when the conditions are met, I don't care if I can start the local control panel.
Otherwise there should be at least a button to start "local" jobs.

I hope that explains it :-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

It does explain it, but all of this is already possible today. You will see these exact options on the Schedule step of the "managed by agent" workstation backup job wizard: run the job when a backup storage is attached, at a certain time etc.
toko42
Enthusiast

Post by toko42 » 1 person likes this post

I set this up and this does work fine.
I don't quite know if would want at least a status window of a kind, yet, which would maybe incite the user to not shut down until the current backup is finished.

Thank you very much!