Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JoPo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jochen Popp

Enable Application Aware Processing

Post by JoPo »

Hello!

One question: I have configure a backup job for some virtual machines on a vmware ESXi server.

One (only one) of the virtual machine include a MS-SQL database and I want configure "Enable Application Aware Processing".

But in the "Application Aware Processing Options" I see all virtual machines, and I cannot "Remove" the virtual machines without SQL-Database!

The "Remove" button is grey!

What is my mistake?
---
Version: Veeam Backup & Replication 10 (Build 10.0.1.4854)
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Re: Enable Application Aware Processing

Post by ChrisGundry »

Highlight all VMs, click edit, change the radio button to 'Disable application processing'. This means the VM will not have a VSS snapshot within the VM, which is 'application aware', it will instead be 'crash consistent'.

Now you have disabled 'application aware' on all VMs. Then select the one SQL VM, click edit, select 'Require successful processing'.

Note that 'file system indexing' is only used by Veeam Enterprise Manager, so if you don't use it, you can disable that option completely. You can still restore individual files from Veeam.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I would recommend to enable AAIP on all Windows VMs that you have in the backup job to be sure that the produced backups are fully consistent. Without AAIP enabled, we don't interact with VSS framework and VSS writers which exist in the OS by default like for example Registry, System, WMI will not be able to quiesce their data prior the snapshot creation.

Thanks!
JoPo
Novice

Post by JoPo »

Thank you for the answers.

If I enable the "Application-Aware Proecessing" for all VMs, how configure I the credentials?

What should I choose in the "Guest OS credentials" dropdown menu?

And what should I choose in the "Credentials" (Customize guest OS credentials for individual machines and operating systems) menu?
The SQL credentials (administrator; Sysadmin) for the one SQL server?
(the other servers Account are <default>)

If I do this and I press the "Test now" button follow is happens:
(Guest Credentials Test)

All other servers get the status "Failed"
(credentials are not specified)

The SQL-Server get the status "Warning"
! Checking standard credentials
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Basically, you can use the account which has local administrator permissions on VMs you're going to back up. By default, the account specified on the Guest Processing step will be used for all VMs. If you need to set a different account for some VMs, then you should click "Credentials" and customize credentials for the specific items. Please refer to this section of our help center to get more information regarding the permissions required for guest processing.

Thanks!
JoPo
Novice

Post by JoPo » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
it's a little bit clearer now.
Thank you for the answers.