Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Keeping immutable backup long term.

Post by Supraman »

Hello I am hoping someone could answer my question with regards to keep Immuntable for long term storage in the AWS S3. My question is, would there be any ways to remove the capacity tier (local disk storage) backup without removing it from performance tier (s3) or how would one go about with sending immutability backup to s3 with limited disk space on the capacity tier.

Since we are unable to backup directly to object storage at the current moment and in order to use the immuntable backup s3 needs to be added as a scale out repository along with an extend (Capacity Tier) storage which is a local disk and from my understanding once you enable immutability it stays on the Capacity Tier and performance till the retention.
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Keeping immutable backup long term.

Post by dalbertson »

It sounds like you are mixing up the tiers.

Performance Tier - local disks / nas / etc.
Capacity Tier - Object storage / S3, Azure Blob, GCS, S3- compatible
Archive Tier - Glacier / Deep Archive / Azure Archive

Now are you asking if it is possible to send a backup directly to capacity tier (s3) when performance tier is low on space?

You would have to land on performance tier first before going to capacity tier. In v11 you can use a hardened linux repository locally to make your backups immutable as well if you are looking to just make a backup immutable.

We have support for immutability on Capacity Tier and Archive Tier with AWS.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
Supraman
Enthusiast

Post by Supraman »

Hello Dustin,

Sorry about the confusion and you're correct I did mixed the two up. So my problem is that about limited amount of disk space on the performance tier which currently is less than 1TB; however, I have been asked to start enabling immutability and send our backup to s3. The problem is, I have been asked to enable immutable backup for 60 days my concern is with the amount of data that I am backing up. As of this moment I am running of out of space on my performance tier; therefore, may I ask what is the best method to manage immutable backup with high retention period and low disk space on the performance. My understanding is that once your performance tier runs out of space no new backup job can run. So is there a way in which I can move data off the performance tier without reducing the days for immutability as I would be able to clearly delete the data on performance tier due to the lock.
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson »

Ok I understand now.

Firstly, immutability and retention in this discussion are two different things.

If you want backups immutable for 60 days they will not be immutable until they are placed in capacity tier in this design.

But you can set the sobr to move mode and it will move backups from performance tier to capacity tier after x period of time.

So let’s say you want to keep 14 days on prem and then anything older than that to go to capacity tier. I would set my jobs to take weekly synthetics and set my sobr to copy instantly to capacity tier with immutability for 60days and to move anything older than 14 days. What would happen is that at the 14 day mark a offload process would run abd if the data is on capacity tier already it would just remove the data from performance tier and keep it in capacity tier.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
Supraman
Enthusiast

Post by Supraman »

Hello Dustin,

In your example where would I need to set the changes to?