Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
anda65
Novice
Liked: never

SQL Backup - Perform copy only

Post by anda65 »

Hi,
could some explain what does it mean 'Perform copy only' when i have to backup Server with SQL Server run on it?
In my case, if i set 'Process transaction logs with this job (recommended)' backup failed with MSSQLSERVER error 3041, and so VSS also failed.
If i set 'Perform copy only', backup succeeded.
Also, in my case setting for SQL Recovery mode is 'Simple'.

So, what about the consistence of this backup? What about restoring this Server?

Many Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SQL Backup - Perform copy only

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,
anda65 wrote:could some explain what does it mean 'Perform copy only' when i have to backup Server with SQL Server run on it?
Please take a look at this UG page for the answer > Copy Only Backup
anda65 wrote:In my case, if i set 'Process transaction logs with this job (recommended)' backup failed with MSSQLSERVER error 3041, and so VSS also failed.
What does SQL Server logs say about this error? Are you able to create a VSS snapshot manually?

Thanks!
anda65
Novice
Liked: never

Post by anda65 »

Hi Vitaliy,
so, when it needs to setting application-aware backup, from what i have read, it is better to know in which recovery mode option is your SQL Server. If it is not in simply mode, then you have to set 'Process transaction logs with this job (recommended)' and setting what you want to do with these Transaction Logs.
But if the recovery mode is simply, than it is better to Perform a copy only. With this option, it is only performed a block i/o of SQL data. And that is what happens to my Server.
I have read these on 'VEEAM_SQL_server_backup_and_restore_in_a_veeam_environment' pdf document.
So, i think i leave Perform a copy only setting, i think it's better in my case.

Many thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

"Copy only" mode is needed when you process logs with another application and run your DB in a Full recovery mode. Since you're using Simple mode, then the default settings to process SQL Server (recommended options) should be a way to go. To troubleshoot the VSS error you have, please contact our support team, they should be able to help you!

Thanks!
Shunx239
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Nikolay

Post by Shunx239 »

The terms used by Veeam are a bit confusing.
The choice "Process transaction logs with this job" on the General tab governs the snapshot to be taken as VSS_BT_FULL (documented in Veeam Agent UG, less in B&R UG).
Even if you choose not to truncate SQL transaction logs on the next tab, it registers a full backup of your SQL DBs, as for MS standards:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... ackup_type

It makes your differential backups in SQL dependent on the Veeam image backup, typically not desirable if you have DBA in charge.

Indeed we are unable to use the same job settings for workloads dealing with Exchange servers (where we need the logs to be managed by Veeam) and SQL (where we don't).