Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
toko42
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Thorsten Kowalski

Veaam 11 upgrade MS Server 2016

Post by toko42 »

I upgraded from Veeam 10 to 11 on a MS Server 2016 machine and the server doesn't boot afterwards.
This is a Supermicro machine, I've never had problems with.

Any hint what I can remove/change while booted up either from the recovery medium or a Win10 rescue DVD?

I have moved everything "Hyper-V" from the system drive to a backup and would only loose the B&R configuration (and the system settings, or course), probably but really would like to spare me the new installation.

Many thanks for any help!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veaam 11 upgrade MS Server 2016

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to clarify the question (Servers & Workstations forum is for managed agents)... what kind of backup to you have and what do you like to restore?

Did you do backup with Veeam Agent for Windows on a Hyper-V machine?

You have one server with Hyper-V and VMs running on it? Was the VBR server installed directly in the Hyper-V management VM (the GUI you see and where you can log in when the Hyper-V boots)?

If it is like I assume, then I would re-install the Hyper-V completely. Application software directly in the management partition is not supported by Microsoft and can cause too many issues. VBR should be installed in a VM. You can restore the Veeam configuration from the configuration backup (it is configured automatically to the default backup repository). That should save time.

Best regards,
Hannes
toko42
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Thorsten Kowalski

Re: Veaam 11 upgrade MS Server 2016

Post by toko42 »

Hi.
I wasn't sure which forum to use, so in this case it's the wrong one as it is a standalone server.

But, alas, the problem is solved, in the end it was whichever windows error and booting the "last known working config" solved it.

No data lost, only the standalone host in B&R is unavailable, I will research the error later.
After having stored configuration and recovery media to a different location.

Thank you very much.