Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
v33am
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vee Am

Can do a backup of VMs but can't do 'Configuration Backup'

Post by v33am »

Case #04690956

Every night, the Veeam B&R does a backup of 10 VMs to my Qnap with the mydomain\vbr.service user without any problem. The path of the backup repository is \\myqnap\VeeamB&R\. The backup files goes to \\myqnap\VeeamB&R\MyVMs\.

I want to schedule the Configuration Backup to the same backup repository. I opened Configuration Backup settings and chose the same backup repository. I clicked on the Backup now button and the backup failed with the next message >
Error The system cannot find the file specified.
Failed to create file [\\myqnap\VeeamB&R\VeeamConfigBackup\SERVER\SERVER_2021-03-10_11-00-00.bco].
Error Moving configuration backup to repository VeeamB&R.
Interesting thing is that the job creates the \\myqnap\VeeamB&R\VeeamConfigBackup\SERVER\ folder, of course, without the .bco file in it.

I did the test and created a Qnap local user (qnapvbr) which I gave RW permissions to the \\myqnap\VeeamB&R\ folder. I added it to the Veeam console, reconfigured the Veeam with it, and the backup job succesfully finished again. I went back to Configuration Backup, started the Backup now job and it succesfully finished too.

It's very odd. The mydomain\vbr.service user has RW permissions on the \\myqnap\VeeamB&R\ folder. The job files are stored in there. But it can't make the backup of Veeam configuration in the same path. It can create the folders, but can't store the .bco files.
On the other hand, the qnapvbr user can do both.

Why!? I want to use my domain user, not the Qnap local user for the Veeam tool and its jobs.
GregorD
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gregor Duzic

Re: Can do a backup of VMs but can't do 'Configuration Backup'

Post by GregorD »

did you reboot qnap? i have this also with synology, i restart it and everything was ok again.
v33am
Novice

Post by v33am »

I didn't but I'll do it today in the evening. I'll let you know with the results later.
v33am
Novice

Post by v33am »

Unfortunately, the Qnap reboot didn't help :(
I even created a new user in AD but it didn't help.

I wish the Veeam backup jobs don't work too but they work. If the Veeam backup don't work, I'll know that the problem is with permissions but like this it's very strange, in my opinion.
v33am
Novice

Post by v33am »

I tried to retype all the passwords in Manage Credentials. Also, I made a new password for backup encryption. It didn't help. I tried to make a backup without enryption. Didn't help. Very, very strange.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi!

Please make sure qnapvbr user is also set in VBR with machine\user format(f.e. myqnap\qnapvbr), cos otherwise local system name is default.
Also, said support case has an empty .txt attached as the only log file - it would be awesome if you upload entire package there.

/Thanks!
v33am
Novice

Post by v33am »

I've just set the qnapvbr user in the myqnap\qnapvbr format and the configuration backup finished succesfully.

The only difference in the log file is the next line >
Info Session result: "Success", job type: "ConfBackup". for the myqnap.mydomain\qnapvbr user and >
Info Session result: "Failed", job type: "ConfBackup". for the mydomain\vbr.service user.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update!
Glad it sorted out.
v33am
Novice

Post by v33am »

I made a mistake. Those two things from my previously post are not related.
I've just set the qnapvbr user in the myqnap\qnapvbr format and the configuration backup finished succesfully.
The job finished succesfully even the user is set as the qnapvbr user or the myqnap\qnapvbr user.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only difference in the log file is the next line >
Info Session result: "Success", job type: "ConfBackup". for the myqnap.mydomain\qnapvbr user and >
Info Session result: "Failed", job type: "ConfBackup". for the mydomain\vbr.service user.
the only difference in the logs, between succesfull (local Qnap user) and unsuccesfful job (domain user) are those two lines.