Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BackItUp2020
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: M.S.

Restore point setting is ignored for deleted VMs

Post by BackItUp2020 »

Hi everyone!

I have a daily copy job that indicates 2 restore points. I also have a 30 day retention period for deleted items.

In my example, lets say I have 2 restore points currently available in my repo for a VM and then I delete the VM. Rather than keeping 2 restore points after the next job, the restore points get merged and get reduced to 1 for that particular VM. Then, after 30 days, the restore points are removed.

It seems this is normal behavior, but it seems that Veeam should be able to keep the most recent 2 restore points whether the VM has been deleted or not.

Anyone else come across this?

Thank you!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restore point setting is ignored for deleted VMs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
unfortunately I do not fully understand what you configured and what you think the software should do.

Keeping only 2 days (well, restore points) and expecting the software to keep 30 days for deleted VMs sounds strange to me (or I misunderstood you).

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 describes how it works in the different scenarios (I don't know what you configured exactly - every setting can have influence)

Best regards,
Hannes
BackItUp2020
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: M.S.

Post by BackItUp2020 »

Hi Hannes,

I will try to explain, but you are correct.

I have a Backup Job with 10 VMs.
-Runs Daily

I have a Copy Job that copies those 10 VMs to a cloud repo.
-Runs Daily
-2 Retention Points
-30 Day Deleted Item Retention

Under normal circumstances, things work as I would expect. VMs get backed up to local disk, the copy job copies them to the cloud repo. During the copy job, you can see the available restore points for the VMs increase from 2 to 3 and then once the merge operation is complete, goes back down to 2. Perfect.

Now, if I delete a VM from vCenter, what I am expecting is:
In the cloud repo, I should have 2 retention points available UNTIL that 30 day retention period is over.

However, what I see is this:
The copy job will run, and as a result, 9 of the 10 VMs show the 2 retention points as expected, BUT, the deleted VM gets consolidated down to 1 restore point. This ends up being the only restore point available until the 30 day retention period is over.

How come it doesn't keep 2 points as I have defined in my settings? It seems that this setting is ignored if it is a "deleted VM".

Make sense?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
ok, then https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 describes how it works.
This ends up being the only restore point available until the 30 day retention period is over.
sounds good to me. The latest restore point should be kept for 30 days.

Asking the other way round... as you normally only keep two days... why would you want to "waste" disk space by keeping the second restore point for 30 days?

Best regards,
Hannes