Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dpgn
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Despina Pagania

File backup

Post by dpgn »

Hello
I'm new to Veeam and kind confused so far so I'm asking for your help.
We have some Hyper-V VMs from which we want to backup specific files in daily, weekly and monthly schedules (daily backup will be kept for 7 days, weekly backup for 3 weeks and monthly backup for 3 months).
Which is the best way in order to do that? Should I use the Windows Agent Backup in File-Level backup mode or should I add my VMs as file servers and use the File Share backup?
Please help and thank you in advance!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: File backup

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Basically, I'd recommend to leverage file share backup functionality if you're going to backup a huge amount of files. The file-level backup by Veeam Agent for Windows might be an option but you can also produce an image-level backup of entire VM from Hyper-V host, this backup method will allow you to make file-level restore as well.

Thanks!
dpgn
Novice

Post by dpgn »

Hi PetrM,
Thank you for your response.

The files we want to backup are not so many in number, but they are large in size.
My basic issue is how to implement the schedule I want (daily, weekly, monthly) if I use the File Share backup functionality. With Windows Agent backup in File-Level mode I have the ability to use the GFS policy. In File Share backup do I have to built 3 different jobs with different retention for each, one for daily backups, one for weekly and one for monthly?
Furthermore, which of the two backup methods is the quickest?

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I would recommend to follow the file-level or image-level approach, it should give better performance in your case. With file share backup, you have an option to use archive repository to store file versions which are not covered by the short-term retention policy.

Thanks!
dpgn
Novice

Post by dpgn » 1 person likes this post

Thank you PetrM