Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

VBO365 move to new Server

Post by agrob »

Good Day

First of all, i have read the KB2649 and also some forum Posts but have not found all the Information i need.

At the moment i a have a VBO365 Installation on a physical Server. This machine has all the VBO Roles on it. Server OS is Windows Server 2012 R2.

Now i need to move the wohle VBO365 installation to a new Windows Server 2019 Server.

1. Install VBO365 (same Version) on the new Server
2. Stop VBO365 Service on the existing server
3. Copy all the Repository Data with robocopy to the new Server
4. on the new Server, "register" the copied repository Data as new repositories (Backup Repositories -> Add backup repository -> point it to the copied data)
5. on the new Server, add the same Organization as on the old Server
6. Backup Jobs, here i'm not sure: I guess i have to manually configure the same jobs as i had on the old Server (with exlcusions and so one). There is no way i can export/import the job data?

This is it. Then i should try a restore from the old restore points. if this works, i can start the jobs and it should only backup new Data from O365?

Thanks
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: VBO365 move to new Server

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andre,

Correct, you will need to reconfigure jobs manually, because VBO doesn't allow to export such configuration.
And the next job run after migration will be incremental.

Thanks!
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Hi Polina

Thank you for your reply.
At the moment, we use legacy authentication for the Organization. On the new server, i'd like to configure modern authentication. Does this work or do i have a problem when i use the "old" (migrated) repositories on the new server? i guess not, but i want to make sure that no new full backup is done after migration.
Thanks
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Modern authentication has some limitations for both backup and restore, which you need to consider before doing this switch. After you change the auth to app-only, VBO will update some metadata in repositories (for example, jobs containing groups will be put to the Out-of-date state and will need to be updated), but this won't affect consistency of existing backups.

Thanks!
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Hello Polina

I guess for migration to the new Server, the easiest way is to configure the Organization again with legacy authentication as on the old server. After migration is done and everything is working well, i can decide if i want to change to modern authentication after reading the limitations in the link you posted.

thanks again
Filippo1975
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Filippo M

[MERGED] Migrate vo365 to another server

Post by Filippo1975 »

Hello Everybody,
we had installed vb0365 in a dedidcated server; all data are stored in azure blob. We had just configured a local disk as cache and it's really small.
We would like to move to another dedicated server.. for veeam backup and replication, as well veeam cloud connect It's simply move installation to other server. It just need to backup all settings and restore that... But how to accomplish this in o365?
johan.h
Veeam Software
Liked: 182 times
Full Name: Johan Huttenga

Re: Migrate vo365 to another server

Post by johan.h »

Hi Filippo,

Did you have a look at this KB article? It explains how you can move VBO to a new server with an object storage repository. https://www.veeam.com/kb2649

Johan
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Filippo,

moved your post to the existing thread. Please review the posts above.

Thanks!
UlrichThomas
Influencer
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Ulrich Thomas

Post by UlrichThomas »

Hello,
4. Copy the backup repository data to the backup repository location on the new server.
7. Add the backup repository (from a new location).
Did I understand correctly that the copied repository will be set up as an "additional" repository on the new VBO server? It is not allowed to use it as the target for the new backup jobs?

I asked because I copied the old repository to the new server, add it to VBO and point the backup jobs to.
Testing restore was fine, all restore points were availible.
After running the backup jobs, the old restore points were gone (marked with the "x").

Please clarify,
Ulrich
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

the old restore points are available from the organization level
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@karsten123 is correct. The database of the new VBO server is not aware of these restore points. So you will need to right-click on the organization (not on the backup job) and run the restore from there
UlrichThomas
Influencer
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Ulrich Thomas

Post by UlrichThomas »

@karsten123 and @Mike Resseler

Many thanks for clarification.