Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GianlucaCroci
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Gianluca Croci

Change Storage

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hello,
we're about to change the storage used by Veeam. We currently have around 200 TB of saves, across two sites. A primary site and a secondary site via CopyJob. Both 200 TB.
In the first site we've already configured a Scale-Out, while for the second we aim directly at the storage.

We wanted to know what was the best solution to migrate the saves, taking into account that the daily window is at most 12 H without saves (although not true because someone should stop it).

Thanks in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Change Storage

Post by foggy »

Hi Gianluca, you can migrate the jobs gradually, one by one, to make sure you fit into the window. Please review this article with the instructions and this thread for the SOBR scenario hints.
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Thanks.

I was thinking of hooking the new primary storage to the current scaleout as "Extent" and "evacuating" the saves from the current to the new. I just can't choose what to move, and I can't do it on a job basis.
Would it therefore be better to create a new Scale-out? and proceed manually job by job?
The same thing for CopyJobs?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Right, with evacuation it is all or nothing, so if you need a more granular approach, the new repo is the way to go. It's the same for copy jobs, yes.
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

OK, I think then we'll proceed with the creation of a new Scale-out, and with the gradual modification of the various jobs (depending on the Disk occupation).
As soon as the new Retention chain is reformed, the old Storage will be cleaned up.
This is on both the Primary and Secondary Sites.

Maybe I take advantage of changing some CopyJobs to "Immediate" instead of the current "Periodic Copy" :-)

Thanks a lot.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Since it is new storage and space is not a concern for the duration of migration - this is a good strategy.
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

we're in a bit of a hurry to move everything to the new storage, but having for most of the saves a Retention of 14 days, and at most of the Monthly Backups, which I can move, let's say that in a month I should get away with the move :-)