Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bkain1
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Becki Kain

Backends for VBR

Post by bkain1 »

I inherited a group of VBR's (originally 9.5, now 10a, if that matters), which are set up in all different ways. Two share a backend HA SQL pair. Some have their own single SQL backend and some have only SQL express, on the VBR itself. I want to migrate them to all be the same but I'm curious, what is the best practice for this - is there any reason to not set up two VBRs to share a SQL HA pair or is the best practice that each VBR has it's own SQL HA backend pair?

thank you

Becki Kain
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backends for VBR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
there is no universal "best practice".

SQL express is only recommended up to 500 machines, to avoid hitting SQL express limitations. So you probably want at least SQL standard edition.

I personally like it to have SQL on the VBR server with local / SQL authentication. I like to have a working backup software (well, restore software) in case the domain goes down. SQL with windows authentication requires a working active directory.

Yes, multiple VBR servers can share one SQL server or SQL AlwaysOn availability group cluster. Nothing against it. Just give every VBR its own database and you are good to go. As the performance of that one SQL cluster has impact on all your VBR servers, I recommend monitoring the performance of that SQL cluster.

Best regards,
Hannes
bkain1
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Becki Kain

Re: Backends for VBR

Post by bkain1 »

Thank you. We've decided to have two VBRs share an HA pair but only for production boxes.