Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jimnoco
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Jimmy

CentOS 6 Repository Server and v11

Post by jimnoco »

Greetings,

I have a pretty simple question that support hasn't been able to fully answer for me yet. I see in the release notes that for v11 repository servers only CentOS v7 or 8 is supported. I have over 20 repository servers in multiple locations that serve up NFS mounts and they are on CentOS 6. I upgraded one of my less critical environments and everything seemed to work fine still with the repository server that was attached (on CentOS 6). I do have planned to switch to Ubuntu but this will obviously slow my process of upgrade to v11 since they all would need to be done manually. Am I good to use CentOS 6 as repository servers in v11 even though its technically not supported?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: CentOS 6 Repository Server and v11

Post by Gostev »

Hello! The risks associated with using CentOS 6 with V11 are very low. I personally would be more much worried about the lack of security updates for those boxes, rather than about the Veeam part of the story :D
jimnoco
Service Provider

Post by jimnoco »

Thank you Gostev and it is certainly a concern of ours too that we aim to address. I'm just trying to get a plan together to see what to start with. Migration of repo servers to Ubuntu first, or upgrade to v11 first. Another question I have that support didn't give me the best feedback is regarding our SOBR's with multiple extents. In these scenarios, each extent is attached to the SOBR via a CentOS 6 repository server so we might have a SOBR with 4 extents (4 repository servers). In this type of situation, how can I transition the extents to new Ubuntu repo servers and then back to the SOBR without affecting the backup jobs? I imagine I'll have to break the SOBR by removing the extents, unmount the volumes from the CentOS 6 repo servers, connect up the new Ubuntu repo servers, mount the existing volumes to them and then add them back into the SOBR. If I do this, will the backup jobs be able to map back to the SOBR and pick up where they left off without affecting anything? My goal is to not have to evacuate extents and move around files as some of these are 50 to 100 TB extents. We have regular VBR and Cloud Connect environments we need to address here.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this would work for regular SOBR. But you should also run it by your Veeam architect, as these guys will know if there's any Veeam Cloud Connect specifics to pay attention to. Thanks!
jimnoco
Service Provider

Post by jimnoco »

Thanks again Gostev, I'm the Veeam architect for our organization so I'll just have to make sure I check myself :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, actually I meant a solution architect on our side, a Veeam employee. We have a few of those dedicated to assisting VCSP with the VCC architecture questions, I'm sure your Veeam sales rep can put you in touch with someone. They would know any VCC-specific gotchas etc. because they likely saw other VCSP doing similar migrations before.
jimnoco
Service Provider

Post by jimnoco »

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I will reach out to my rep to see if we can check with one of the architects. Thanks again Gostev