Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bjdboyer
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

[Feature Request] 2 actually... proxy groups and oniy if powered on

Post by bjdboyer »

It would be nice to group your proxy servers in groups and then specify a group in the job. I have multiple locations and in some there are multiple proxy servers and multiple jobs. If I need to make a change to a proxy (add/upgrade/remove) then I have to change EVERY job that references that proxy. it would be nice to have them in a group and the jobs reference the group and are dynamic at the time of the backup. Would be nice to have the same thing for the guest interraction proxy servers.

Have a potential customer where we are proposing veeam to replace TSM, vRanger, BackupExec... They want a single backup product for their environment. One of the techs who manages the backups other than TSM (I do that) mentioned that vRanger had an option to only backup a VM if it's powered on. That would be a nice feature to be able to specify at the job and/or the VM level in a job. That way if the job is backing up a VM and an administrator powers it off Veeam won't keep backing it up. Especially if it's power off for a period longer than the backup retention (points or days). it could end up the only copy left in Veeam are copies of the powered off VM. maybe issue a warning in the job that a powered on VM is now off. It's not uncommon that the sysadmin doesn't notify the backup admin of a change.

Just my over priced $.02 worth.
Bill
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: [Feature Request] 2 actually... poxy groups and oniy if powered on

Post by soncscy »

Hi Bill,

Help me out here:

> it could end up the only copy left in Veeam are copies of the powered off VM.

Why would this be a bad thing? A cold backup is still a backup for sure, and while you have to take an extra step to do some application restore things, every other step of the restore process is the same. Even for apps that need scripts to quiesce, I would imagine most go through a consistency check before shutting down and flush all pending writes out to disk.

For the proxy groups, I do hear you, but would Proxy Affinity (basically giving preference of proxies to a specific repo) do the trick?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... inity.html