Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Matt.Sharpe
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Matt Sharpe

Veeam 11 CDP / VAIO Driver

Post by Matt.Sharpe »

Hi Guys,

With the new upcoming CDP feature, will this work with replications across/between 2 separate vCenters providing they can communicate?

I assume it's not going to work with VCC, but curious about LAN replication between 2 sites added into Veeam B&R?

Thanks

Matt
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam 11 CDP / VAIO Driver

Post by Gostev »

Hi Matt, yes - this is supported of course. Thanks!
joebranca
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Brancaleone

Post by joebranca »

I might have missed this, but is there a published release date or new projected release date for Veeam 11? WIthin the month? Our management has been disappointed by the missing of the original timeline that I got last year of 11's release coming before EOY 2020. Now we are under pressure to look at a competitor if necessary in order to get continuous replication technology in our environment in the next month or two...
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Release Time window is mentioned in Antons weekly Forum Digest. From RTM to GA will take normally 4-6 weeks, if there is no error found.
In my experience, GA Release will be sometime around march.

The word from Gostev - Sunday 10th January
We're currently in the middle of the full regression cycle of the final v11 code, which should be completed by the end of this month. This will get us into the Release Candidates (RC) stage, when every new build can potentially become the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) build, as long as it stands for a few days in our QC labs with no new "stop ship" bugs identified. This stage can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, which is hard to predict - big and heavy airplanes require a long runaway to land. However, as it stands right now, we expect to see all RTM builds signed off in February.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
joebranca
Enthusiast

Post by joebranca »

ah, missed that, thanks!
joebranca
Enthusiast

Post by joebranca »

Before installing the IO filter in our production clusters, our VMWare admin is requesting more information besides the user guide saying "install I/O filter on each cluster where the VMs that you plan to protect reside and where VM replicas will reside."

It sounds like a package is installed per host, but what are the official details and risk level? Are there any possible conflicts with other packages/ESX patch levels, unexpected behavior changes at the host level, etc? Are there *any* known issues from the labs or customer base regarding this, no matter how rare?

We cannot have a potential risk of something unexpectedly going sideways with every single host in a cluster at the same time. At the very least, there are multiple ways this might be getting installed on a host so we would want have more detail on that end.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

All known issues are documented in the corresponding section of the Release Notes document.
joebranca
Enthusiast

Post by joebranca »

Thanks, I checked it out. What I still can't find info on is if for example each host in a cluster needs to get bounced or put in maintenance mode to activate the IO filter, things like that for us to prepare for implementation?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, installing the I/O filter does not require putting each host in maintenance mode.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

But just so you know for the future, uninstalling does require maintenance mode (as well as upgrading, because it involves uninstalling first). This is actually a requirement to pass the VMware certification, their uninstallation test specifically checks for this.