Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dbr
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

URLs for Updates

Post by dbr »

Hi all,

does anyone know what URLs are necessary exactly to be also able to download updates not only check for them? We've configured all rules from the user guide, but it seems that isn't enough for also downloading the updates.

Thanks, Daniel.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: URLs for Updates

Post by Polina »

Hi Daniel,

What exact issue do you see? Is it that the wizard informs you about the updates available, but the download itself doesn't start?
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Hi Polina,

Checking updates works but once I try to download the updates it seems to be blocked.

Error: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

To me it looks that that the destination servers are blocked on the firewall (IPs eg.: 99.86.3.113, 99.86.3.82). I couldn't find any hints which URLs have to be permitted in order to be able to download the updates. Or are they not included in used ports article because installing updates is an interactive task?
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Anyone else? Meanwhile I opened a support case (#04685507), but it seems that either they don't understand my problem or they cannot even help me at all. I just want know which hosts have to be whitelisted. In my opinion the user guide lacks this information (provided that it is an other url than https://vbo.butler.veeam.com/json-rpc.php) because it only covers the url to the update servers.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@dbr
I asked for an investigation but don't know what the current status is. I will try to chase it again. Sorry about this
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Hi Mike,

meanwhile I did some research on my own. I can see some blocked connections on the firewall (sure, that was expected). IPs for example: 65.9.73.52, 69.9.73.17 (and presumably some more). I captured the network traffic with wireshark and couldn't find any dns request, so it seems that it's hard coded with a bunch of IP addresses, isn't? The easiest way would be to whitelist all blocked IPs and I'm done, but I would expect that this is mentioned in the used ports article next to vbo.butler.veeam.com as well for reference.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Daniel,

To be honest, I am not sure where those IPs are coming from... As far as I know, we don't have those hardcoded, and vbo.butler... should be enough to do the updates. I asked QA to look further into the logs to see what is happening. But as said, those IP's are not hardcoded and you should NOT exclude anything else besides vbo.butler...
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr » 1 person likes this post

Just for information: I kept working on this with support. The missing host is download2.veeam.com. It has been added to the help center article.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

@dbr

Correct, my bad, I forgot to add it here also. Thanks for letting us know!