Lurker
Liked: never

unable to connect monitor (client)

Post by difenza »

Hi,
I'm evaluating Monitor 3.0, this is my infrastructure:
1 VC 2.5
2 ESX 3.5

I've installed (full installation) Monitor 3.0 on a server running W2003R2 SP2 using sql2005 express.

If I launch the monitor (client) from this server everything works fine, I can see perf etc etc.
Now I want to install the monitor (client install) on a workstation, installation goes fine but when I start the application it says "Could not connect to Veeam Monitor Server" even if I entered the correct value in the options.

Where is my mistake?

Thanks
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov »

Are both machines in the domain? What account do you use to run Monitor Client?
Cashman
Novice

Post by Cashman »

I could not connect to esxi servers, login and password are right.
Monitor says connection problems. https links working
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Cashman, this is (old) thread regarding connectivity issue between Veeam Monitor client and Veeam Monitor server. If I understand you correctly, your issue is different. I've seen you posted your logs in another thread, let's continue discuss your issue there.
Cashman
Novice

Post by Cashman »

Originally posted by Gostev

Cashman, this is (old) thread regarding connectivity issue between Veeam Monitor client and Veeam Monitor server. If I understand you correctly, your issue is different. I've seen you posted your logs in another thread, let's continue discuss your issue there.

Now a have a problem with time, how i can change time zone on esxi server????? I can only change time, when i set time same as my time, server says Description: Time difference is too large - -02:08:38.8750130. Maximum - 600 sec)

What is it?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Looks like you have some time configuration issues in your environment. As far as I know, ESXi operates with UTC time, so it is impossible to change its time zone. Try playing with ESXi time settings to remove the 2 hours difference between ESXi and you Veeam Monitor server.

I will remove these posts later since these problems are out of scope of this topic. It would be best if you create new topic instead.
KonstantinLitov
Influencer

Re: unable to connect monitor (client)

Post by KonstantinLitov »

I have the same problem as OP.

I can ping the server. Both server and client on same subnet. Have tried using IP vs Server Name.

Client is part of Domain, server is only workgroup(test machine). Do they need to be in the same domain? Could this be an authentication issue?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Konstantin, installing Veeam Monitor server in the workgroup is not currently supported - it must be in your domain.
KonstantinLitov
Influencer

Just to confirm, it has to be in the same domain as client, or can it be in another domain with a trust between the two?

If I add the server to one of my domains, will I have to re-install the Monitor Server?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Konstantin, we did not test it between trusted domains, but it should work I think.
You do not need to re-install, just add the server to domain and use Security tab to add allowed users, then Click the Sync button on the same tab.
KonstantinLitov
Influencer

I added it to our test domain, and was able to connect from our corporate domain just fine.

Thanks.
mfarace
Lurker
Full Name: Michael Farace

Post by mfarace »

Why are you forced to use the Monitor in a AD domain environment?

My ESX servers are in my test lab, on its own network, completely separate from Corporate IT. I really prefer not to have to join a server to the Corp domain, or build up my own AD server, just for this product. I don't see any features or functionalities that are tied to Windows or AD domains.

Is it possible to bypass this requirement? I got Veeam Monitor to install fine with SQL express on a server in a default Workgroup, but really want to install it with SQL server, and have clients connect to it, without AD requirements.

I have 6 ESX servers (quad cpu with quad cores), and about 340 VMs - none of which belong to a domain.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We did not really "force it", we just did not design our product to work in such scenario. You know, every additional scenario requires more development and increases testing time dramatically, so we have to limit scenarios to most typical use cases. If we try to support everything right away, we would never release...

Why you cannot join Veeam Monitor server to Corp domain?

Also, please describe in more details how would you like it to work in your scenario, right now it is not very clear. Veeam Monitor server in workgroup, using remote SQL server located in Corp domain, clients are connection from Corp domain, VMs are NOT part of Corp domain?