Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

SPO Backup exclusion of Teams Sites possible / needed ?

Post by agrob »

Good Day

At the moment, we have two VBO Backup Jobs:

Name: Exchange
Backup Typ: Organization -> Processing: Email/Archive
Repo: Repo001

Name: Sharepoint
Backup Type: Organization -> Processing: Sites
Repo: Repo002

Now with VBO 5.x, i want to use the "native" Teams Backup. So what i do is create a new Job

Name: Teams
Backup Type: Organization -> Processing: Teams
Repo: Repo002

Question 1: Selected the same repo as the Sharepoint Job is using. As far as i know, the data from Teams Sites which are already backed up in the Sharepoint Job, wont be stored twice, right? (if i use a new, dedicated repo, i would use twice the space?)

In the configuration above, i would process Teams Sharepoint Data twice, in Job "Sharepoint" and in Job "Teams".
Question 2: Is there an easy way to exclude all Teams Sites from the Sharepoint Backup? (but then private channels would not be protected with the teams job, right. Then it would be better to leave the Teams sites in Sharepoint Job as well)?
Question 3: Is it needed to exclude Teams SPO Sites from Sharepoint Backup? Because Sharepoint Job and Teams Job point to the Same Repo so they wont use the backup space twice?
Question 4: Teams Members Mailbox will never be protected with the Teams Backup job, right? Always have to protect it with in a separate Exchange Job. (I hope it is this way, because if not, we would have a problem with data in different Repos - As far as i have tested it, Teams Job does not protector Member Mailboxes which is good).

Thanks in advance
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 707 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: SPO Backup exclusion of Teams Sites possible / needed ?

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andre,

1) Correct, if backed up to the same repository, VBO will reuse the existing data.
2) Not by the VBO means.
3) It depends on how you use those sites and what you'd like to achieve. SharePoint job will allow restoring the entire site, while VET will only restore files shared in a team.
4) Correct, Teams backup doesn't protect any users' mailboxes.

Thanks!
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

Thank you Polina!
CKESSLER
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by CKESSLER »

Polina wrote: Mar 19, 2021 9:08 am Hi Andre,

1) Correct, if backed up to the same repository, VBO will reuse the existing data.
2) Not by the VBO means.
3) It depends on how you use those sites and what you'd like to achieve. SharePoint job will allow restoring the entire site, while VET will only restore files shared in a team.
4) Correct, Teams backup doesn't protect any users' mailboxes.

Thanks!
Hello Polina,

regarding your Answer 1):
Is this somewhere officially documented? I did not find this behaviour mentioned in the Help Center.

Thanks,
Chris
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hi Chris,

We don't have it specifically documented, that is true. But the behavior is as Polina stated