Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ropeguru
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Webb

Dual Homed Linux BU Repository wrong IP

Post by ropeguru »

So I have an off site linux box I am trying to use as a backup repository. In order to keep the remote agent inaccessible from the internet, I have ZeroTIer loaded and there is a second interface on the box for it. The backup repository created successfully and it comes back showing the correct amount of free space using the ZeroTIer private IP.

However, when I go to do a backup with a remote Windows agent, the Windows box also has a ZeroTier interface on the same network, the job fails with an error saying that the remote backup repository is unavailable on port 2500 using the Linux server's public IP.

Is there some way to force the storage agent to use the ZeroTier private IP instead?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 531 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Dual Homed Linux BU Repository wrong IP

Post by PetrM »

Hi Robert,

Welcome to our Community Forums!

I think it makes sense to take a look at the preferred network setting if you protect the Windows box by Veeam Agent managed by Veeam B&R. One more idea is to check DNS name resolution of the Linux repository from your Windows machine, most probably it's resolved in public IP. If this assumption is correct, you can try to add a corresponding entry into hosts file on the Windows machine to resolve DNS name in private IP.

Thanks!
ropeguru
Influencer

Post by ropeguru »

Thanks for the info. Still new to the product.

I see this link is for V11, does it hold true also for V10? Have not upgraded yet.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Yes, it's also applicable for v10.

Thanks!
ropeguru
Influencer

Post by ropeguru »

So I found the location and the connection is working as expected.

One other question. In the same area, I want all traffic between hosts in my ZeroTier subnet to be unencrypted and throttled to 30Mbps.

I added an entry in the Network traffic rules with source and destination subnets in the same /24 subnet, did not select encryption and set for 30Mbps. Traffic is still being encrypted with this config.

Is this possible to do this way? If so, do I need to restart services for this to take effect?

Thanks again for the help/
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Robert,

I don't think that restart of services is required, I'd suggest to contact our technical support as it looks like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for our reference.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you tell how exactly you figured that traffic is encrypted? And what about throttling itself, did the rule take place and bandwidth was set to 30 Mbps? Thanks!
ropeguru
Influencer

Post by ropeguru »

The network encryption I was going by the status shown as the backup was running for the host. It came up with "Network traffic will be encrypted" when viewing the actions on the host.

That same windows also showed that throttling was enabled, "Network traffic throttling enabled", and I saw firewall interface usage reflect that along with the "bottleneck" portion of the status showing "throttling".

And as one last piece of info, under the network traffic rules, I set encryption to disabled on all traffic rules.
ropeguru
Influencer

Post by ropeguru »

Case #04710538
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2844 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Just a guess, but as you appear to have two IPs and one is public, I'm guessing that it's detecting this and forcing encryption regardless of settings. You can disable this behavior. Might be worth a shot.
ropeguru
Influencer

Post by ropeguru »

I have also disabled the encrypt option in the Internet rule with no success.

The Windows Server running the agent is dual homed with two private IP's, 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.196.0/24. Only the Linux backup repository has a public IP.

I do appreciate all the suggestions.
ropeguru
Influencer

Post by ropeguru »

Case was closed with no response.

Guess I will just have to deal with encryption over an encrypted network. Makes perfect sense to me.