Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mrkuer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Kruer

Cleaning tape

Post by mrkuer »

I am running Veeam 9.5u4 using a Dell TL2000 Tape Library to do backups to tape.
In the past week or so, Veeam backup job stalls out waiting for a cleaning tape about halfway thought the backup process.
I was just assigned to see what was causing the issues. Doing some research, I came across this article.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... aning.html

The original config had both Veeam and the Dell TL2000 set to clean automatically. In addition the Dell TL2000 had the cleaning tape set to slot 23 and hidden from Veeam so the cleaning tape was not being seen by the backup in the first place. I logged into the Dell TL2000 made the stop 23 discoverable by Veeam, and Disable the Dell TL2000 Automatic cleaning. Now Veeam can see the Cleaning tapes in the unrecognized media pool, but I don't see anywhere where it defines the tape as a cleaning tape. I reran the Job but the same issue is happening, it completes the first tape and then asks for a cleaning tape and holds up the rest of the job.

In addition I checked on The Dell TL2000 Tape Library and it reports that the drive DOES NOT need to be cleaned.

Any Ideas of why this is happening?
Do I need to abort the job?
Should I set Veeam not to handle the cleaning and just rely on the Dell TL2000 Tape Library instead?

Thank you

-Matt-
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Cleaning tape

Post by PetrM »

Hi Matthew,

It's difficult to say why this is happening without having a closer look at debug logs. I believe it would be best to raise a support request. Please don't forget to provide us with the support case ID.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Cleaning tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matt,
Now Veeam can see the Cleaning tapes in the unrecognized media pool, but I don't see anywhere where it defines the tape as a cleaning tape.
That's the correct location for the cleaning media.
In addition I checked on The Dell TL2000 Tape Library and it reports that the drive DOES NOT need to be cleaned.
Also correct.
I reran the Job but the same issue is happening, it completes the first tape and then asks for a cleaning tape and holds up the rest of the job.
Can you please confirm that automated cleaning is still enabled in the library properties? Cleaning media has the cleaning barcode right? Can you please share the screenshot of the job log with the cleaning warning?
Should I set Veeam not to handle the cleaning and just rely on the Dell TL2000 Tape Library instead?
One of the options should be used, but not both at the same time (as otherwise the library and Veeam B&R will perform cleaning on it's own).

Cheers!