Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gerdesj
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jon Gerdes

Failed to apply retention policy for VM: xxx_replica Error: Permission to perform this operation was denied

Post by gerdesj »

This document details the "cumulative permissions" required by Veeam B&R: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

That worked fine for v10 but I think v11 requires Virtual Machine -> Snapshot Management -> Rename Snapshot in addition to Create/Remove/Revert Snapshot. I think the new version tries to do a rename of the snapshot before deleting it (which is still done OK).

I tried to use the documentation feedback link but that didn't work for me, so I'm posting here instead. A simple web form rather than a monster of a mailto URL might work better.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Failed to apply retention policy for VM: xxx_replica Error: Permission to perform this operation was denied

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Jon.

Thanks for feedback, I have passed it to Documentation team.
We will check actual permissions list.

/Thanks!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Failed to apply retention policy for VM: xxx_replica Error: Permission to perform this operation was denied

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Looks like maybe an error from the documentation team as they have it here but not in cumulative?
gerdesj
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jon Gerdes

Post by gerdesj »

Well spotted.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Cumulative Permissions list has been updated to reflect the need of Rename Snapshot permission.

/Thanks for feedback!
fcoa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric

Post by fcoa »

This also resolved the issue for me. Please be aware that this matter doesn't appear to currently exist in the release notes.