Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

Dedicated vs Non-dedicated VMware Veeam Proxies?

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo »

Use-case: 4-node ESXi Cluster with shared SAN storage. Each VBR proxy is configured for "Virtual Appliance (HotAdd)" transport mode, NBD failback is disabled. Registry key EnableSameHostHotaddMode=2 is set.
We're trying to avoid the need to deploy dedicated VMware Veeam backup proxies to this location, and instead intend to use Windows VMs already on each ESXi host of the cluster to perform the role of Veeam Proxy. We're ensuring the VMs selected to perform the proxy role will remain on their assigned ESXi hosts.

I want to include the proxies themselves for backup.

Here are my questions:

1. Does Veeam Backup & Replication v10 contain logic to refrain from performing a backup of a VBR proxy itself, while it is performing the backup of other VMs?
I wouldn't want it backed up while it has the disks of other VMs still attached.

2. One of the VBR proxies has NBD ENABLED. Is this sufficient for it to be selected to perform NBD backups of each of the VMs with the proxy role?

3. Is this possible to achieve using a single VBR Job?
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

Re: Dedicated vs Non-dedicated VMware Veeam Proxies?

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo » 1 person likes this post

edit: never mind, I noticed this in the actions on a job, looks like it does hold off processing the proxies for backup until they're done their other tasks:
Queued for processing at [date] [time]
VM is a backup proxy, waiting for it to stop processing tasks
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Dedicated vs Non-dedicated VMware Veeam Proxies?

Post by PetrM »

Hi Mark,

Basically, you can also create a separate job to backup these VMs in Network mode using the specific proxy.

Thanks!