Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
bkain1
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Becki Kain

alarms specific to a VBR

Post by bkain1 »

We have different groups of customers and as we're looking at what alarms to set, for each group. Some might want email, on a failed backup, some might want a flat file that turns into a ticket, on the same. We cannot do vmware tags, nor enter whole vcenters, into v1, just vbrs and on each vbr is a data store, not enumerated vm's. is there any way to handle the same alarm, for different vbrs, within v1? is there any way to pass the vbr name, from v1, to an email or flat file? it's not one of the 7 variables that I can see.

thank you
Brad.Barker
Veeam Software
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Brad Barker

Re: alarms specific to a VBR

Post by Brad.Barker » 1 person likes this post

Hey Becki,

So alarms for Backup and Replication are based at the root level of VBR. So if these varied scopes are based on different VBR servers we might be able to modify the assignment scope a bit to control this behavior. So you could say copy an alarm, and then modify the assignment on what the alarm triggers for, as well as the action that occurs when the alarm triggers. This would give you a method in some capacity to control that, and depending on the particular alarm it can go more granular on the scope than the root VBR server.

Here is a link to Copying Alarms: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/a ... ml?ver=110
Here is a link to Modifying Alarm Assignments Scope: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/a ... ml?ver=110
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Brad is spot on!

Also, information on the alarm source is always present within the alarms and their email notifications. If an alarm has a backup server as a source of the alert, you can use "%2" variable to pass the name of the source to a script.
bkain1
Expert

Post by bkain1 »

I see that might work for "write a file and send it to this support group" based on vbr, i don't see how that would work on "send an email", on an alarm. if we're sending an email on a failed backup to the sql people, how would we not send the same email, to the sql group, on a failed oracle backup, which is from a different vbr?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

In the way, Brad mentioned above.

Since it's a single alarm covering both SQL t-log backup jobs and Oracle archived log backup jobs, you can copy the predefined alarm and change any settings for the alarm copy, including assignment and notification settings, such as email recipients. So at the end of the day, you'll have two alarms: one for VBR#1 that sends emails to SQL group and another one for VBR#2 that sends emails to Oracle group. Moreover, if both SQL and Oracle jobs are running on the same VBR server, you can remove rules for Oracle from the predefined alarm and remove rules for SQL from the alarm copy, allowing you to granularly configure the alarm in the way you want.
bkain1
Expert

Post by bkain1 » 1 person likes this post

No, they would be on different VBRs. I have to fully reinstall my V1 box (and we're live testing version 11 instead of going back to 10a) then I can start changing/enabling alarms. thank you
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Just for the sake of safety, I would reconfigure the rules as well. This way, if you, at some point, end up having both SQL and Oracle log backup jobs on a single VBR server, the teams will not get emails about jobs processing databases they are not responsible for. This approach sounds more stable to me.

Thanks
bkain1
Expert

Post by bkain1 »

they will be on different vbr's. thanks for the advice! i'll have more to ask as we put more teams on veeam