Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
moggyman
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Backup Target advice

Post by moggyman »

I have a 3-host cluster utilising a Dell SAN and my Veeam B&R server is a VM sitting in this cluster.

At the moment, the local backup jobs target a NAS in the same rack but as we expand and add more VMs to the cluster, the NAS is becoming a bottleneck. The NAS is also getting old and free space is shrinking. I was looking into replacing it with a newer, larger, and hopefully faster rack NAS to help open the bottleneck. I'm guessing that it would be best to create an iSCSI volume on said NAS and attach that to the Veeam VM as a 'local' drive. I can't see any other way of overcoming the current backup speed issues and I'd appreciate some advice. We are only a small company and have only recently undergone a very expensive cluster upgrade both locally and off-site, so the economy of the solution will play a part.

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup Target advice

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

From my point of view, your idea to create iSCSI LUN is solid enough. Also, you may have a look at the best practices for block repositories.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Here's also another existing thread that might be useful in regard to your questions.
moggyman
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by moggyman » 1 person likes this post

Thanks all - I'll do some reading.

Cheers