Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
balma01
Certified Trainer
Liked: 5 times

Per-VM backup repository and dedup ratio for repository sizing

Post by balma01 »

Using the Per-VM backup repository setting do not provide deduplication between VMs.
In this case, which dedup ratio (Data left after reduction) have we to insert in the repository sizing tool RESTORE POINT SIMULATOR?
You can find the tool at http://rps.dewin.me/
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Per-VM backup repository and dedup ratio for repository sizing

Post by foggy »

It is typically recommended to use the Conservative (50% reduction) setting provided the default Optimal compression level is utilized.
balma01
Certified Trainer
Liked: 5 times

Post by balma01 »

Hi foggy, thanks for your help. I understand It is typically recommended to use the Conservative (50% reduction) setting provided the default Optimal compression level but if I use a Per-VM backup repository I guess to insert a different reduction...
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

No, it is the same.

Compression is applied inline during backup to each data block that we read. If you later pack this together in a big file or multiple small file do not change anything on the size side.

However that said, our Inline Deduplication ratio could be affected by it. For example you clone 10 VMs an backup those, then the dedup effect from a per VM chain is way less compared with a per job chain. Anyway the 50% data reduction is a very good conservative number together with 3-5% change rate. (3% for non Database systems, 20% for Database systems)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The thing is, it heavily depends on the data itself, compression might give more or less savings depending on the data pattern. So 50% is already a rough average not counting for that. Of course, per-VM chains do give you less reduction but 50% is still a rough average - Veeam B&R uses pretty large block sizes for inline dedupe to significantly affect that conservative estimation. You can do some tests with your data and make more precise calculations based on that.