Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
sound_easy
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Unable to allocate processing resources. On-host proxy requires upgrade before it can be used.

Post by sound_easy »

I opened a case yesterday (Case #04718942) but I'm using community edition so I haven't received a response yet.

I'm on B&R 10.0.1.4854 and have been using this for a while without a single issue until yesterday.

I restarted my Hyper-V server yesterday morning and after it rebooted, all my veeam jobs are failing with this error. I've seen some posts in the past referencing to just restart the veeam backup services, however that didn't resolve any issues here. After the job fails, the server shows in backup infrastructure as offline, but performing a rescan shows all volumes appearing online and visible, however starting the job again produces the same results.

I also tried re-installing any missing veeam services by editing the server in the backup infra tab, this didn't seem to do anything as the process completed instantly (successfully) but still results in the same error in the backup job. The actual "upgrade" option for this server is greyed out and unavailable, which I believe indicates that it is fully updated.

I have other jobs going from different hosts that are still working, and they are using a volume from this server's storage as a repository.

All the references to this error I've seen in the forums and elsewhere on the web indicate just restarting the servers and/or the veeam services resolve the issue however this doesn't seem to be the case for me. I'm not sure what else could be causing the issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Unable to allocate processing resources. On-host proxy requires upgrade before it can be used.

Post by Gostev »

This is not a known issue with the product, so most likely some environment-specific problem that will need to be troubleshoot over a webex session. Our support will get back to you based on staff availability, although keep in mind they are very busy right now due to the new major release. Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Unable to allocate processing resources. On-host proxy requires upgrade before it can be used.

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I checked relevant support communication. Did you renamed the host?
Please check as well DNS if forward and reverse point to the correct server and there is no duplicate IP address on the network.

Please try the following. Uninstall the Veeam Software from the host manually and reboot. Then install the software again over the Veeam console.

The above are things that addressed it at the other customers.
sound_easy
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by sound_easy » 1 person likes this post

Somehow after making no changes to the system after leaving the office yesterday, everything suddenly worked in the scheduled backup last night and it completed successfully after it had failed the previous two daily scheduled backups and 3x retry on each day, as well as a dozen+ manual attempts. Nothing changed in my environment since the last failure so I have no explanation for what caused it to suddenly start working again.

I did not rename the host, and it is still using the same static IP address, DNS points to the host server and all VMs correctly, there was no duplicate IP on the network for any of these servers.

I appreciate the tips from both Andreas and Gostev and I'm sorry I don't have any helpful info to add to the resolution for anyone coming to look at this in the future, it just started working again when I expected it to fail. I did not uninstall veeam from the server or remove the host completely as it is used as a repository for other hosts and I wanted to avoid mucking about with that if possible. Could possibly be related to a hardware issue but all health checks on server look ok.
swan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexey Saveliev

Post by swan »

Restart Veeam Backup and Veeam Broker services on backup server solved same problem for me.