Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
bkain1
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Becki Kain

vcenter->vbr->v1 alarm

Post by bkain1 »

A couple of questions, we could not add full vCenters into our V1 monitoring server because V1 tries to walk the entire vCenter and we don't have enough licenses. Is there a way to monitor if a vCenter still exists, in V1, without it trying to walk the contents of the vCenter?

Second, I was told the values in variables in V1, which can be written out as email or flat files, come from the VBR, not V1 itself. Is this true?

Third (sorry, long winded), we have some of these vCenters defined on our VBRs. Is there an alarm, from the VBR which could be sent to the V1 box if the vCenter disappears?

thank you

becki kain
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: vcenter->vbr->v1 alarm

Post by wishr »

Hi Becki,

1) You may exclude some objects from monitoring. If you are using an instance-based license you may exclude VMs, if you are using a socket-based license, you may exclude hosts.

2) The values come from the VONE database, but the underlying data is of course pulled from VBR and hypervisors first, depending on what alarm is it.

3) No, there are no such capabilities in VBR and you can only monitor your vCenter servers using Veeam ONE.

Thanks
bkain1
Expert

Post by bkain1 »

1. It would be thousands of hosts to add in manually, for each vcenter, though. We just want to monitor the existence of the vcenter, not it's underlying vm's. There's no way of doing that? thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

What do you mean by saying "monitor the existence of the vcenter"?

We have an article that explains all the ways to deal with such situations.
bkain1
Expert

Post by bkain1 »

We don't have enough licenses to include vCenters into V1 and I don't want to manually exclude thousands of vms, which come and go. What happened is a vcenter was deleted, we didn't know about it, the VBR spent a lot of cycles trying to scan it, when it wasn't there, and slowed everything else, on that VBR, down. I was curious if there was any way to alert "hey, this vcenter, which was here yesterday but is not today" but not alert on everything on the vcenter, just the ip itself? thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Becki,

What do you mean by saying "vCenter was deleted"? How it was deleted and from where? I'm trying to figure out if that is something that we can alert on at all, hence need more detailed and precise explanations.

Regarding, monitoring, as I said above and as the aforementioned documentation states, you may exclude not just VMs, but also hosts and other containers, such as business view groups. The latter option allows you to configure complex grouping conditions.

Thanks
bkain1
Expert

Post by bkain1 »

it was a virtual machine and someone deleted it from the network. The VBR, which still had it as an object, was spending a lot of cycles trying to walk it, and couldn't and that slowed the performance of the VBR way down until it was deleted. We will not be notified when vcenters are deleted so I was looking to see if I could alert on it, from the vbr, since it was defined as an object on there.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

When your vCenter is added to VONE but VONE for whatever reason cannot connect to it, you should be getting Virtual server connection failure alarms in VONE. This should cover the given scenario.
The VBR, which still had it as an object, was spending a lot of cycles trying to walk it, and couldn't and that slowed the performance of the VBR way down until it was deleted.
Also, this does not seem to be the expected behavior, so I would recommend contacting our technical support for an investigation. The removal of a vCenter server should not significantly affect the performance of the VBR server and the processing of VMs residing on other vCenters. One of the possible root causes might be your VBR server is lacking resources.

Thanks
bkain1
Expert

Post by bkain1 »

I will try to add the vcenters to v1, when I get my new V1 box set up, with grouping everything on the vcenter out.

thank you