Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
IFRALFIS
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Delete backups versions automatically

Post by IFRALFIS »

Hello all,

is there a possibility to delete backups automatically when e.g. the storage space becomes full?
E.g. a function to activate that e.g. 2 full backups remain stored or only after each full backup, the latter is deleted?

Currently, my hard drive is always full and Veeam only reports an error during execution.

Thanks a lot
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Delete backups versions automatically

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hello,

Did you configure the retention policy? It should help you to remove the "old" backups. The configuration depends on the version you are using (free/workstation/server).

Thank you!
McHunter
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joerg Janshen Jaeger

Post by McHunter »

Hello,

I seems to have the the same Problem.

It seems that the Free version only activates the retention policy if Windows reports that the Disk is nearly full.
I have set retention to 6 Days, that should be 1 Full Backup and 6 Incrementals, but it are today 2 Full and 14 Incrementals.
Even if VAW shows only the last 7 Backups in the JobWindow, the files are still on the Disk.
When Windows reports that the Disk is nearly full, then VAW reports the task with an Warning and deletes the obsulete backupfiles acording to the retention policy.

Mfg. Joerg
Mfg.
Joerg Janshen Jaeger
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

We can not really guess here what happened. But this should not be the case. With Full + Incremental you have one full and incremental more for some time as long as a restore point that is still needed in a incremental of that chain. File depend on each other. Please open a support case and let them check why the backups are not deleted. The statistic view should give you additional hints.
McHunter
Novice

Post by McHunter »

Hello,

thank you for your answer, I reported the issue and opened an support case.
I hope they find what the problem.
Mfg.
Joerg Janshen Jaeger
McHunter
Novice

Post by McHunter »

Hello,

WTF... , I got the E-Mail with the Case Number #04719671, but I can't see the case, because it seem I must Upgrade my Profile with an business e-mail address.
But with EVERY adress that I enter, i have only got "Business Email is not valid"... and can't see the Case... :?
Mfg.
Joerg Janshen Jaeger
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi McHunter,

Are you registering at veeam.com with same email address used for the case creation?
I can ask respectful team to check filters, cos your email provider might be in a "public" aka lock list.

/Thanks!
McHunter
Novice

Post by McHunter »

Hello,

Yes it's the same email adress, my email provider is GMX, I opened the case with my forum email.
Thamks!
Mfg.
Joerg Janshen Jaeger
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

@McHunter
As expected, it appears that your email domain is in public area.
You will have to use a corporate\business email to register and manage your account at veeam.com.
IFRALFIS
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by IFRALFIS »

Hello,

thanks for your answers and sorry for my late reply.
I edit the rentention policy but I have the Problem, that Veeam doesn't check the free space of the backup volume.
How is it possible that Veeam does not write the entire storage space, but leaves, for example, at least 20GB?
Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Veeam Agent for Windows does check both source volumes and target destination for free space available on each job run.
Having low space on any side should trigger Warning in the session(X is running low on space), however job will continue to process data, no matter of limit, until disk is full.
You can tune it with:
Source: HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\DisableVolumeFreeSpaceCheckWarning (1 Disabled, 0 Enabled)
Target: HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\BackupRepositoryFreeSpaceThresholdPercent (X percent)

/Cheers!