Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kokishin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Koki Shin

How to backup VAW backup?

Post by kokishin »

I'm running VAW 4.0.1.2169 (free) on my Win 10 Pro Ver 2004 desktop.

Using VAW, I perform a daily backup of my desktop to a separate Win 10 Pro "server" machine via SMB. I have over 9TB backed up (full and incremental).

I'm concerned about both my desktop and server getting infected with a virus (or worse) so that recovery is impossible.

I would like to connect an external esata drive to my server so I can periodically backup the backup on my server to the external esata drive.

Then I would manually disconnect the external esata drive from the server so that it is immutable.

The idea is that if the desktop and the Veeam backup on the server both get corrupted, I can recover from the backup on the external esate drive.

Please advise on how to accomplish this.

Thanks
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Re: How to backup VAW backup?

Post by asdffdsa6131 »

i copy the backup files to aws s3 deep glacier, for $1.00/TB/month.
so 9GB = $9.00/month
kokishin
Influencer

Post by kokishin »

I need a bare metal recovery solution. As already mentioned, I have over 9TB of VAW already backed up. I need an external HDD backup of the VAW backup should my primary VAW backup become corrupted. A cloud storage solution is impractical given my situation.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

kokishin wrote: Mar 12, 2021 4:59 pmI would like to connect an external esata drive to my server so I can periodically backup the backup on my server to the external esata drive.
Then I would manually disconnect the external esata drive from the server so that it is immutable.
This sounds like something ad-hoc backup functionality was designed for.
kokishin
Influencer

Post by kokishin »

@Gostev

Thanks for the ad-hoc backup recommendation. AIUI, this uses VAW on my desktop to create a full backup to a different target HDD.

In my OP, I stated I have over 9TB already backed up to the server. I prefer not to tie up my desktop in creating the VAW ad-hoc backup. I'd rather tie up the server.

Is it feasible to copy, backup, or clone the VAW backup on my Win 10 Pro "server" to an external HDD connected to the server? If so, please explain or refer me to the recommended method.

The ad-hoc backup does have one significant advantage. It creates a fresh backup to a different target HDD. This may be an advantage if unbeknown to me, my 181 day, incremental back up on the server should have any corruption.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Well, if you just copy all your existing backup files to an external HDD, then you will achieve what you're trying to do.

However, normally you should just set up Backup to Rotated Drives instead. This is the most classic way of achieving air-gapped backups in small environments. But I don't know if you have a second drive you could rotate.
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Post by majones » 1 person likes this post

My solution is an e-sata dual bay external hard drive docking station with cloning capability. Using e-sata I run all my backups to a HDD in the primary slot, and then I power down the dock, flip the switch to clone mode, and clone the HDD in the primary slot. Then power down the dock, flip the switch to e-sata, and leave the HDD in the primary slot for Veeam to access. I would advise an e-sata dock in preference to USB3 as I experienced corruption with USB3 (never could work out why). The advantages of cloning are that the overhead is borne by the dock hardware, not your PC or server, and I discovered that making a Veeam backup of a Veeam backup wouldn't let me restore (again, never could work out why).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Martin,

Once the 'mirror' storage is connected try to browse and manually select the cloned backup via any restore wizard. Cheers!
kokishin
Influencer

Post by kokishin »

majones wrote: Mar 18, 2021 4:14 pm My solution is an e-sata dual bay external hard drive docking station with cloning capability. Using e-sata I run all my backups to a HDD in the primary slot, and then I power down the dock, flip the switch to clone mode, and clone the HDD in the primary slot. Then power down the dock, flip the switch to e-sata, and leave the HDD in the primary slot for Veeam to access. I would advise an e-sata dock in preference to USB3 as I experienced corruption with USB3 (never could work out why). The advantages of cloning are that the overhead is borne by the dock hardware, not your PC or server, and I discovered that making a Veeam backup of a Veeam backup wouldn't let me restore (again, never could work out why).
I checked on amazon.com and could not find an e-sata dock that had a cloning feature. USB 3.0 docks with cloning were available but I prefer to use e-sata. Which make/model are you using?

Thanks
McHunter
Novice
Full Name: Joerg Janshen Jaeger

Post by McHunter »

Hmmm... why not using 2 docks, 1 with eSATA to Backup and another to Clone the disk? It seems that the eSATA cloning docks are no longer aviable from most manufacturer (perhaps because you needed an port-multiplier on most systems if you use it as an nomal dock for 2 disks?)
Found something on Amazon.DE "StarTech.com USB 3.0 / eSATA auf 2,5 / 3,5 Zoll Festplatten Duplizierer Dock, Kopierstation mit SATA 6Gb/s für HDD /SSD"
Mfg.
Joerg Janshen Jaeger