Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dashbrook
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dean Ashbrook

Using CDP under v11 for SQL servers

Post by dashbrook »

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience using CDP for Veeam 11 with SQL servers? I would like to know if there are any issues or best practices before implementing this type of protection. I have CDP running for other servers but not SQL. SQL is a critical component of our environment and I don't want to experience issues due to the implementation of CDP.

Thank you for your input.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Using CDP under v11 for SQL servers

Post by veremin »

We have tested CDP with VMs running SQL server and haven't found any issues. As to the recommendations, there is no specifics - just make sure that the infrastructure is capable of transferring the amount of changes generated by corresponding machine.

Test functionality might provide you with some perspective here.

Thanks!
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Post by orb »

Keep in mind also, CDP is Crash-Consistent and Application-Aware is available for the long term.

Oli
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, CDP journal or short-term retention captures the state of VM as is without any preliminary application-aware processing - the same as it would be after a power outage. However, SQL can cope with such situations quite well.

To have application-aware restore points occasionally configure long-term retention and set backup window allowed for such activity, using second Schedule button.

Thanks!